During the last few days, both of the head coaches in today's Vikings-Packers game have tried not to define the game as a "must-win." But in reality, how could it be anything but a must-win?
Face the facts. The Vikings are 5-3 and on a two-game losing streak that would be extended to three with a loss at Lambeau Field today. The Packers are 4-4 and on a three-game winning streak that would increase to four games with a home win.
The simple truth of the matter is that a Vikings win would give them a two-game lead over the Packers with a win in hand on the road. A loss and, for the first time all-year, the Packers would have a technical lead on the Vikings – although they would both be 5-4, the Packers would have the head-to-head tiebreaker edge.
While the coaches can downplay it, most fans see today's game for what it is – a must win. A loss for the Vikings won't be the end of the world, but it will make their job a whole lot more difficult and could make winning the NFC North a tall order indeed.
* From the "Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire" Department comes this: Bryant McKinnie isn't going to get any breaks this week. Coming off a rough game against Colts pass rusher Dwight Freeney, his assignment this week is Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, another pass rusher that will bring the heat from Daunte Culpepper's blind side.
* Of the Vikings five wins this season, the combined record of their opponents is 16-24. The Vikes are currently 0-3 against teams with winning records.
* The Packers are just 1-3 at home and in danger of having a losing home record this year for the first time in the Brett Favre era.
* Favre will be playing in his 200th consecutive game today and his 198th straight start.
* The Vikings have the easiest remaining schedule of the three teams in contention for the NFC North title. Their final eight opponents currently have a combined record of 32-32 – better than that of the Lions remaining opponents (33-31) and the Packers (37-27).
Season Could Turn Today
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings training camp guideLinks to the Minnesota Vikings training camp schedule, autograph schedule, directions, NFL calendar and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:59 AM
Vikings training camp autograph scheduleThe Minnesota Vikings have announced their training camp autograph schedule for 2017.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:07 AM
NFC North Rankings: Offensive linemenIn 2015, all four teams in the NFC North thought they had the pieces on their offensive line to carry them to the end of the decade. A lot has changed the last two years.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:34 AM
Vikings make pre-camp roster movesThe Minnesota Vikings made a bottom-of-the-roster release and signing on Friday, but they might not be done.
Viking UpdateFriday at 12:46 PM
NFC North Rankings: Tight endsThe crop of tight ends in the NFC North has been formulated under two very different approaches, with varied levels of success.
Viking UpdateFriday at 5:29 AM