Mike Tice has usually been up front. He continued his ways today, as he was officially introduced as the new head coach of the Vikings. Information and humor was in large supply during and after his press conference.
Among the many changes in store:
* Gary Zauner was released as the special teams coach.
* Willie Shaw was been asked, but not yet accepted, the defensive coordinator position.
* Tice has a short list of offensive coordinators who are currently with clubs and either under contract or in the playoffs.
* The remaining coaches' duties will see some shuffling. Namely, Brian Baker will move from defensive line to linebackers coach, Willie Shaw, if he accepts the coordinator position, will still help with the secondary. Dean Dalton will move from assistant offensive line to running backs, Alex Wood will remain quarterbacks coach.
* Tice's priority is to chart the ratio of plays that Randy Moss has gotten the ball in successful games and commit to that ratio. He thought that might mean going to Moss every four or five plays, and he said more motion would be used to free up the Super Freak.
* He also said the coaches would begin identifying how Michael Bennett was so explosive at Wisconsin and attempt to use similar plays with the Vikings.
* While he praised Daunte Culpepper's athletic ability, he said Alex Wood's biggest assignment as Culpepper's coach will be to get Culpepper to be a student of the game and watch much more film. The quarterback should know the game plan as well as the coach, said Tice, who was a former quarterback at Maryland.
* Jim Kleinsasser will be moved to tight end, and could be used an H-back on occasion. According to others, Kleinsasser is a better blocker with a man right in front of him rather than in "iso" situations.
* He thought the Cris Carter era in Minnesota would depend on money.
* He wouldn't say this team is in a rebuilding phase, citing Chicago this year and saying, "You're only one or two players away from changing things and turning them around."
* After a generally tense atmosphere at Winter Park in recent years, Tice is encouraging everyone in the organization to "think freely."
* Tice also said: "This season was no fun for me. I want to have fun again. … Everybody should be smiling."
Tice Named Head Coach; Information Flows
Viking Update Top Stories
Cornerbacks: Will Vikings have a need?The necessity for free-agent help at cornerback in a flooded market may have more to do with decisions made internally for the guys they already have.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:03 AM
Sunday slant: Spielman has studiesMinnesota Vikings general manager says he has color coding for draft prospects in abundance, but he has plenty of analytical studies that have produced exactly the conclusions you…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:38 AM
Combine Research: Outside Linebacker (Part 2)Who did everything at college? Who is short on height but long on production? Who was deemed not good enough to stay on the roster? Who is following in his brother's walk-on…
Packer ReportSaturday at 8:07 PM
Combine Research: Outside Linebacker (Part 1)Who brought the hate for Alabama? Who is best known for his hair (and sacks)? Whose brother was a former NBA first-round draft pick? Those answers and more as we get to know the…
Packer ReportSaturday at 7:47 PM
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking UpdateSaturday at 10:11 AM