A hernia is one of the most painful injuries an NFL player can suffer. With a tear in the abdominal wall that makes the intestine try to push its way out, an injury such as this can cause excrutiating pain.
Matt Birk is suffering through such an injury and, although he told VU Sunday he would continue to play through the injury, the medical staff and coaches may be leaning toward having him sit one week at some point down the stretch.
If Birk does sit, Cory Withrow will get the start.
THANKSGIVING DAY NOTES
* Right tackle Nat Dorsey practiced Wednesday, but with the second unit -- giving rise to more speculation that Adam Goldberg will start Sunday.
* Despite the Ron Artest brawl debacle, the NFL will begin its long-awaited experiment of allowing seats on the field of play at the Vikings-Jaguars game. It will be one of four games during the regular season that will allow fans to sit 12 yards from the sideline in easy chairs. With the current concern over player-fan violence, let's hope they cherry-pick the participants.
* Randy Moss had a full two-hour practice Wednesday with no setbacks. He is still listed as doubtful on the injury report.
* Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio named Byron Leftwich his starting quarterback for Sunday. Leftwich has missed the last two games with a leg injury.
* The Vikings have been behind by 12 or more points in each of the last three games.
Moss In; Birk and Dorsey Out?
Viking Update Top Stories
Barr named to Pro Bowl as replacementThe Minnesota Vikings now have six players in the Pro Bowl after LB Anthony Barr was named a replacement on Monday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:46 AM
Another NFC contender emergesWith Atlanta heading to the Super Bowl, they become the 12th NFC team in the last 16 years to make the Big Show, leaving the Minnesota Vikings and three other teams in the green …
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:05 AM
Rhodes leads Vikings D-backs record settersXavier Rhodes set or tied five Minnesota Vikings records in 2016 and three other defensive backs made their mark in the franchise record books.
Viking UpdateSunday at 9:44 AM
Sunday slant: Stars have blind spotsThe last week of interviews with Minnesota Vikings past and present shows that sometimes the elite athletes have blind spots that keep them from achieving whatever their top-end…
Viking UpdateSunday at 5:30 AM