A hernia is one of the most painful injuries an NFL player can suffer. With a tear in the abdominal wall that makes the intestine try to push its way out, an injury such as this can cause excrutiating pain.
Matt Birk is suffering through such an injury and, although he told VU Sunday he would continue to play through the injury, the medical staff and coaches may be leaning toward having him sit one week at some point down the stretch.
If Birk does sit, Cory Withrow will get the start.
THANKSGIVING DAY NOTES
* Right tackle Nat Dorsey practiced Wednesday, but with the second unit -- giving rise to more speculation that Adam Goldberg will start Sunday.
* Despite the Ron Artest brawl debacle, the NFL will begin its long-awaited experiment of allowing seats on the field of play at the Vikings-Jaguars game. It will be one of four games during the regular season that will allow fans to sit 12 yards from the sideline in easy chairs. With the current concern over player-fan violence, let's hope they cherry-pick the participants.
* Randy Moss had a full two-hour practice Wednesday with no setbacks. He is still listed as doubtful on the injury report.
* Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio named Byron Leftwich his starting quarterback for Sunday. Leftwich has missed the last two games with a leg injury.
* The Vikings have been behind by 12 or more points in each of the last three games.
Moss In; Birk and Dorsey Out?
Viking Update Top Stories
Harris sees maturation in his gameMinnesota Vikings safety Harrison Smith isn't expected to play Sunday, so for the second straight year backup Anthony Harris finds himself front and center before a critical late…
Viking Update2:12 PM
VIDEO: Priefer seeks better playMinnesota Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer talks about a homecoming to Jacksonville and his desire to see better play from his special teams.
Viking Update12:45 PM
VIDEO: Shurmur on Jaguars, the playbook, moreMinnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur talks about the Jacksonville defense, the latest setback at center and working through tough times on offense.
Viking Update12:16 PM
Smith misses again; stage set for Harris?As Harrison Smith missed his third practice this week with an ankle injury, it appears safety Anthony Harris could be getting the third start of his career.
Viking Update9:40 AM
Vikings defense poised for challengeThe Minnesota Vikings and Jacksonville Jaguars are both struggling and it may take a big effort from the Vikings defense to get momentum back on their side this season.
Viking Update8:47 AM