A hernia is one of the most painful injuries an NFL player can suffer. With a tear in the abdominal wall that makes the intestine try to push its way out, an injury such as this can cause excrutiating pain.
Matt Birk is suffering through such an injury and, although he told VU Sunday he would continue to play through the injury, the medical staff and coaches may be leaning toward having him sit one week at some point down the stretch.
If Birk does sit, Cory Withrow will get the start.
THANKSGIVING DAY NOTES
* Right tackle Nat Dorsey practiced Wednesday, but with the second unit -- giving rise to more speculation that Adam Goldberg will start Sunday.
* Despite the Ron Artest brawl debacle, the NFL will begin its long-awaited experiment of allowing seats on the field of play at the Vikings-Jaguars game. It will be one of four games during the regular season that will allow fans to sit 12 yards from the sideline in easy chairs. With the current concern over player-fan violence, let's hope they cherry-pick the participants.
* Randy Moss had a full two-hour practice Wednesday with no setbacks. He is still listed as doubtful on the injury report.
* Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio named Byron Leftwich his starting quarterback for Sunday. Leftwich has missed the last two games with a leg injury.
* The Vikings have been behind by 12 or more points in each of the last three games.
Moss In; Birk and Dorsey Out?
Viking Update Top Stories
Report: Floyd to serve one more day in jailMinnesota Vikings receiver Michael Floyd got an additional day of jail time and other penalties for violating terms of his house arrest.
Viking Update1:49 PM
U.S. Bank Stadium wins international awardWith Minnesota Vikings executives pitching plaudits, U.S. Bank Stadium took home an international stadium award.
Viking Update12:30 PM
WATCH: Laquon Treadwell at OTAs, minicampLaquon Treadwell is trying to earn a much bigger role with the Minnesota Vikings in his second year. Watch as he goes through drills and routes at OTAs and minicamp.
Viking Update11:31 AM
Vikings see a lot to like with WeatherlyMinnesota Vikings coaches and players see a lot of similarities between the development of Danielle Hunter and Stephen Weatherly.
Viking Update7:07 AM
Schedule could be edge for VikingsNormal is going to abnormal for the Packers to start the 2017 season. Could the schedule tip the balance of power in the NFC North?
Viking Update5:32 AM