The Vikings have spent the last month without Randy Moss and the results have been quite clear -- three losses in the last four games. With his anticipated return, the Vikings now become a more explosive team, and the way defenses approach them will have to change.
Last week the Vikings ended their NFL record streak of 19 straight games in which the team averaged four yards a carry per game rushing. Not only did that streak end, but nobody on the team averaged more than four yards a carry in the win over the punchless Lions. Why? Because of Moss.
With Moss, teams have to commit a safety on nearly every play and many times a linebacker to bracket on the short routes -- leaving eight players to cover the other 10 Vikings. With Moss out, teams were able to drop the safeties into the box and do some damage to the Vikings rushing game.
While it is still unclear exactly what Moss' role will be Sunday, he's ready to go and the Vikings are ecstatic to have him back.
* Another reason the Vikings want Moss back is to move him up the all-time record books. Moss is currently tied for 10th all-time in receiving touchdowns with 85. He traild No. 9 Andre Reed (87) by just two and is only three from eighth place (Don Maynard, 88).
* The Vikings and Jags have played just twice in their histories and both were blowouts -- the Vikings hammering the Jags 50-10 in 1998 and the Jags returning the favor with a 33-3 blowout in 2001.
* The Jaguars haven't won a road game against an NFC opponent since beating the Vikings in 2001 -- dropping five straight games.
* Jimmy Smith has three straight 100-yard receiving games on the road -- which is a personal high for him.
* The Vikings defense must stop Fred Taylor. Over the past four weeks, the Vikings have allowed an average of 166 yards a game on the ground.
Will Moss Be A Difference Maker?
Viking Update Top Stories
Cutler returns, praising Vikings defenseBears QB Jay Cutler is returning to action and expects some rust, but he has immense respect for the Minnesota Vikings defense.
Viking Update2:43 PM
VIDEO: Bradford breaks down offensive issuesWhile Sam Bradford has generally had an impressive start to his time with the Minnesota Vikings, that didn't translate last week. He discusses the offensive struggles against the…
Viking Update2:33 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer blasts report, talks BearsMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer defends his character after an erroneous report that was later corrected went viral, but Zimmer settled in to talk Bears mostly on Thursday.
Viking Update1:39 PM
Vikings look to turn the pageComing off their first loss of the season, the Minnesota Vikings are looking to shake the label of being soft and get back to their winning ways at Soldier Field Monday, a place…
Viking Update12:28 PM
Patterson sits out; Treadwell, Wright returnThe Minnesota Vikings’ rotating injury concerns at wide receiver continued this week.
Viking Update11:52 AM