It's a good year to be in the NFC, and the Vikings are learning to love every minute of it.
With Sunday's win, the Vikings currently sit alone atop the NFC North -- the Packers play tonight vs. the Rams. But the bigger picture is that their playoff hopes are much more solid than they were a year ago this time with a similar record. Why? Because everyone else stinks.
At 7-4, the Vikings will either be the division leader tomorrow or the top wild card team. Even if the Rams lose tonight and sit at 5-6, they would be the second wild card team. Beyond them, a slew of awful teams at 4-7 hope for their spot.
In the AFC, there's a decent chance that a team with 10 or possibly even 11 wins won't make the playoffs. In the NFC, an 8-8 team has a good shot at making the big time and, if the chips fall right, a 7-9 club has an outside chance. But, the best news for Vikings fans is that, whether as division champ or wild card, it looks pretty solid that the Vikings are back in the playoffs.
* How bad is the NFC? The Eagles clinched their division Sunday with five games to play on the schedule.
* Chris Hovan's demotion to the de-active list is a clear sign that his days with the Vikings are numbered.
* Michael Bennett may be on his way out, too. But, with a strong running back crop in next April's draft and some high-priced free agents likely available, the Vikings' asking price in trade for Bennett may have to drop to a third-round choice at best.
* Randy Moss made his on-field return but was clearly struggling with the few deep routes he was asked to run.
* The Jags got inside the Vikings 30 seven times Sunday and came away with just 16 points.
* Kelly Campbell has 55 receptions in his career, and 10 of those have been for 40 yards or more.
Vikings Back On Track
Viking Update Top Stories
When good rumors go badAt his Wednesday press conference, Seattle coach Pete Carroll answered a question pertaining to the health issues the Seahawks are having at offensive tackle and, as part of his…
Viking Update4:53 AM
Harrison Smith: No reason for changeThe Minnesota Vikings’ perfect season hit a brick wall Sunday at Philadelphia, but safety Harrison Smith said the panic on the outside of Winter Park isn't being shared on the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:44 PM
Munnerlyn likes Cutler’s risk-taking waysCaptain Munnerlyn likened Jay Cutler to Brett Favre, calling him a “gunslinger,” but Cutler was at his best when he conformed last year.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:32 AM
Did Vikings have bounty system?In a new book released recently, the claim is made that the Minnesota Vikings had a bounty system in place at the same time the Saints were eventually swept up in the Bountygate…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:25 AM
Fusco: O-line problems correctableAs players and coaches watched film of Sunday's loss to Philadelphia, more than a few them got an uneasy feeling. Not because the Eagles dominated them as much as it appeared, but…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:15 AM