Many thought it was pretty much a done deal during the season that, when Willie Shaw joined the Vikings coaching staff, that he was taking on many of the duties of a defensive coordinator, to the chagrine of Emmitt Thomas.
Friday, it became official as the Vikings and Mike Tice named Shaw defensive coordinator for the team next season.
Shaw will still work with the defensive backs, but will oversee all aspects of the defense, which Tice hopes will make the team more aggressive on defense.
The search for an offensive coordinator continues, but that position may remain open until some playoff teams get eliminated.
* As part of his hiring as defensive line coach, George O'Leary will also carry the tag of assistant head coach.
* O'Leary goes way back with Tice. So far, in fact, he coached Tice when he was in high school on Long Island, New York.
* The Vikings have now purged all of the senior assistant coaches with the most tenure with the Vikings, getting rid of Richard Solomon, who was with the team 10 years, losing eight-year coach Trent Walters to Notre Dame and firing eight-year veteran coaches Gary Zauner and Carl Hargrave.
* Tice said he will move Jim Kleinsasser from fullback to tight end, which could jeopardize the team's chances to bring Byron Chamberlain back. However, Kleinsasser may become more of a H-back than a pure tight end and assistant Dean Dalton pointed out that they are very different tight ends.
* Tice becomes just the sixth coach in team history, joining Norm Van Brocklin, Bud Grant, Les Steckel, Jerry Burns and Dennis Green as the only head coaches in team history.
Shaw Accepts Defensive Coordinator Position
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Zimmer on final preps for EaglesMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer discusses some key players for Philadelphia, his defense and if Jake Long could play.
Viking Update12:02 PM
Vikings have 3 receivers on injury reportThe Minnesota Vikings could be getting Stefon Diggs back in the lineup, but he is among three receivers on their injury report.
Viking Update11:37 AM
Notebook: Walsh ‘past the bad things?’The Minnesota Vikings are preparing to play “quite possibly the best special teams unit across the board that we've faced so far this year.” Plus, the Vikings are doing much better…
Viking Update8:49 AM
Hard-core stats: Vikings at EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings will look to exploit some of the weaknesses the Eagles have shown lately, including one strength for the Vikings and one weakness. We go deep into where the…
Viking Update5:04 AM
Born to run … with backups?Perhaps no other division came into 2016 more dependent on strong running games to succeed as much as the NFC North. But, in just the seventh week of the season, all four teams…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:23 PM