Mike Tice is in the middle of the fight for his coaching life. Perhaps nothing could be better than to see the Detroit Lions on the schedule.
For his coaching career, which has had its share of ups and downs, Tice is 5-0 career vs. the Lions. If the Vikings are to solidfy their playoff position, it will need to be 6-0.
With Tice firmly on the hot seat, his job is on the line. Vikings teams of recent vintage have stepped up when similar situations have presented themselves. Will this year's team do the same? Stay tuned.
* Daunte Culpepper has done Tice three better. For his NFL career, Culpepper is 8-0 vs. the Lions.
* Detroit running back Kevin Jones is looking to reach rarified air. Despite missing much of the early season, Jones is 141 yards away from hitting the 1,000-yard mark. He has rushed for 196 and 156 yards in the last two games, and, if he tops 150 again this week, he will be the first rookie RB in NFL history to have three 150+ yard rushing games in three straight games.
* Jones has a lot of history going against him. In the history of this rivalry, the Lions have a 29-55-2 record.
* The Vikings still lead the NFL in third-down conversion rates on offense.
* Culpepper has 31 TD passes this year -- three behind the franchise record set by Randall Cunningham in 1998.
* Randy Moss has 40 100-yard receiving games. If he hits the century mark Sunday, he will break Cris Carter's team record they currently share.
* The Vikings are 28-12 in games in which Moss tops 100 yards.
* Two years ago at this time, Matt Millen called out Chris Claiborne, which is a big reason he is a Viking now. Keep an eye on Claiborne Sunday. If he can't get up for this game, his Vikings career may be winding down quickly.
* Antoine Winfield was upgraded on the team injury report Friday, but VU has been told he won't play -- which makes the move all the more curious.
Viking Update Top Stories
WATCH: Sam Bradford at OTAs, minicampSam Bradford was in charge at Minnesota Vikings organized team activities and minicamp working on the plays that will build the foundation for the 2017 season. Watch two minutes of…
Viking Update5:42 AM
Doleman meets the PopeFormer Minnesota Vikings defensive end Chris Doleman was one of seven Pro Football Hall of Famers to meet the Pope.
Viking Update5:24 AM
League shows Zim respectNFL.com released its annual preseason head coach power rankings and, while ranking the team as a middle-of-the-road squad, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer was named a top-10 coach.
Viking Update5:01 AM
Elflein adjusting to increased dutiesThird-round rookie Pat Elflein is finding the duties at center require more than they did in college, but he’s getting there and ready to compete for a starting job.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:23 AM
Moss reminisces about the moon over Green BayRandy Moss discussed the incidents that led up to his infamous end zone fake-mooning of Packers fans.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:42 AM