Mike Tice is in the middle of the fight for his coaching life. Perhaps nothing could be better than to see the Detroit Lions on the schedule.
For his coaching career, which has had its share of ups and downs, Tice is 5-0 career vs. the Lions. If the Vikings are to solidfy their playoff position, it will need to be 6-0.
With Tice firmly on the hot seat, his job is on the line. Vikings teams of recent vintage have stepped up when similar situations have presented themselves. Will this year's team do the same? Stay tuned.
* Daunte Culpepper has done Tice three better. For his NFL career, Culpepper is 8-0 vs. the Lions.
* Detroit running back Kevin Jones is looking to reach rarified air. Despite missing much of the early season, Jones is 141 yards away from hitting the 1,000-yard mark. He has rushed for 196 and 156 yards in the last two games, and, if he tops 150 again this week, he will be the first rookie RB in NFL history to have three 150+ yard rushing games in three straight games.
* Jones has a lot of history going against him. In the history of this rivalry, the Lions have a 29-55-2 record.
* The Vikings still lead the NFL in third-down conversion rates on offense.
* Culpepper has 31 TD passes this year -- three behind the franchise record set by Randall Cunningham in 1998.
* Randy Moss has 40 100-yard receiving games. If he hits the century mark Sunday, he will break Cris Carter's team record they currently share.
* The Vikings are 28-12 in games in which Moss tops 100 yards.
* Two years ago at this time, Matt Millen called out Chris Claiborne, which is a big reason he is a Viking now. Keep an eye on Claiborne Sunday. If he can't get up for this game, his Vikings career may be winding down quickly.
* Antoine Winfield was upgraded on the team injury report Friday, but VU has been told he won't play -- which makes the move all the more curious.
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings try to keep the faithThe Minnesota Vikings are in dire straits with their playoff hopes, but they believe they have the “grit” to win out and make the playoffs.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:12 PM
Zimmer returns to work, expected to travelThe Minnesota Vikings got head coach Mike Zimmer back on Monday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:20 AM
Just Win (Four), BabyThe Minnesota Vikings need some help to make the playoffs. They didn't get much Sunday as Detroit and Tampa Bay improved their own postseason stock.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:52 AM
Sunday slant: Don’t blame BradfordSam Bradford has been getting criticism from some fans and observers, but a look at numerous analytics, and an overall view of the game, shows just how good he has been without…
Viking UpdateSunday at 1:57 PM