The strain of flu that first reared its ugly head three weeks ago around Minnesota and, more specifically, at Winter Park, continues to claim victims. But this time, it's some pretty high-ticket items.
Daunte Culpepper, Antoine Winfield and Jermaine Wiggins all were excused from practice Wednesday to get rest and try to get through the illness. Veteran players like Terrance Shaw and Darren Bennett have had the symptoms for more than a week. The Vikings are hopeful that all three will be fine for Sunday's game. Culpepper wasn't listed on the injury report, while Winfield and Wiggins were listed as probable.
* Vikings coach Mike Tice played one year under Joe Gibbs, but says that season made him convinced he wanted to become a coach.
* With Culpepper out of practice, the Vikings turned to backup Gus Frerotte, who spent five years with the Redskins until an ill-advised head butt of a brick wall nearly ended his career.
* With Tice's contract extended, only Scott Linehan remains without a contract for 2005 and he's made it clear he wants to stay.
* Nate Burleson is 43 yards short of 1,000 for the season. If he gets there Sunday, it will be the 12th straight year the Vikings have had a 1,000-yard receiver -- dating back to 1993.
* There are 13 potential scenarios that can happen this weekend to determine the NFC playoffs. In 11 of them, the Vikings make the playoff and seven of them they finish with the No. 5 seed.
3 Players Down With Flu
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings nearing halfway point in signingsThe Minnesota Vikings are nearly halfway through signing their draft picks with a handful of contracts completed in 24 hours.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:29 AM
Zimmer: ‘This will not keep me from coaching’Whether he has one good eye or two, Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer plans to return to the team soon.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:39 AM
Despite competition, Wright ‘a playmaker’Jarius Wright wasn’t happy with his role last season and there is more competition now. How is he handling it?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:21 AM
Vikings podcast: On Teddy, Zim, Bud and OTAsIt’s been an eventful week for the Minnesota Vikings with OTAs starting, a head coach not there, a QB that is trying to show progress and a general manager speaking for them. We…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:56 AM