The strain of flu that first reared its ugly head three weeks ago around Minnesota and, more specifically, at Winter Park, continues to claim victims. But this time, it's some pretty high-ticket items.
Daunte Culpepper, Antoine Winfield and Jermaine Wiggins all were excused from practice Wednesday to get rest and try to get through the illness. Veteran players like Terrance Shaw and Darren Bennett have had the symptoms for more than a week. The Vikings are hopeful that all three will be fine for Sunday's game. Culpepper wasn't listed on the injury report, while Winfield and Wiggins were listed as probable.
* Vikings coach Mike Tice played one year under Joe Gibbs, but says that season made him convinced he wanted to become a coach.
* With Culpepper out of practice, the Vikings turned to backup Gus Frerotte, who spent five years with the Redskins until an ill-advised head butt of a brick wall nearly ended his career.
* With Tice's contract extended, only Scott Linehan remains without a contract for 2005 and he's made it clear he wants to stay.
* Nate Burleson is 43 yards short of 1,000 for the season. If he gets there Sunday, it will be the 12th straight year the Vikings have had a 1,000-yard receiver -- dating back to 1993.
* There are 13 potential scenarios that can happen this weekend to determine the NFC playoffs. In 11 of them, the Vikings make the playoff and seven of them they finish with the No. 5 seed.
3 Players Down With Flu
Viking Update Top Stories
NFC North a M*A*S*H* unitThe Minnesota Vikings have been hit harder by injuries than any playoff contender this year, but Green Bay and Chicago aren't far behind.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:26 PM
Do-or-die time for VikingsIt has taken a lot of losing to acknowledge, but Minnesota Vikings players are finally admitting their margin for error is gone.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:06 AM
Fan forum: Evaluating the front officeAs injuries pile up and the Minnesota Vikings are making their mark, positive and negative, we wondered what fans attending a recent Vikings game thought of the performance of the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:22 AM
Defense mostly overrode Locke’s strugglesJeff Locke had his worst game of the season against the team with the NFL’s best record, but the Minnesota Vikings defense did what it could to overcome it.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:54 AM