With several teams in the NFL laying down and putting in their backups Sunday, the Vikings haven't been afforded that luxury vs. the Redskins.
But the Redskins have problems of their own. Not only have All-Pros Clinton Portis and LaVar Arrington been shut down for the season, but so has cornerback Fred Smoot.
Smoot has been listed as questionable much of the week, but, after a sub-par week of practice, was told to shut it down for the season.
While the Redskins as a team aren't going to lay down for the Vikings, it is promising to see that many of the few stud players will be on the sidelines.
* Portis had as many rushing yards this year as the Vikings team.
* The Vikings have passed on 70 percent of their offensive plays this year.
* Daunte Culpepper and Jermaine Wiggins, who were sent home from practice earlier this week with flu-like symptoms, were removed from the injury report.
* Darrion Scott has been splitting time at practice with Kenechi Udeze, who is slowed with a calf injury.
* All five Vikings running backs are expected to be on the active roster Sunday.
* Joe Gibbs is 7-0 all-time vs. the Vikings -- 4-0 in the regular season and 3-0 in the playoffs.
* Terrance Shaw was fined $5,000 by the league for a facemask penalty on the Packers' Donald Driver.
Smoot Ruled Out
Viking Update Top Stories
Rhodes leads Vikings D-backs record settersXavier Rhodes set or tied five Minnesota Vikings records in 2016 and three other defensive backs made their mark in the franchise record books.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:44 AM
Sunday slant: Stars have blind spotsThe last week of interviews with Minnesota Vikings past and present shows that sometimes the elite athletes have blind spots that keep them from achieving whatever their top-end…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:30 AM
Vikings get inside intel at the ShrineThe Vikings took advantage of a new business opportunity in the East-West Shrine Game and the potential benefit could pay off some sweet dividends.
Viking UpdateSaturday at 11:51 PM
Four D-linemen, Kendricks set Vikings recordsDanielle Hunter and three other defensive linemen set records for the Minnesota Vikings in 2016, as did linebacker Eric Kendricks. We detail the franchise records they set or tied.
Viking UpdateSaturday at 7:29 AM