A year ago, Byron Chamberlain was in a mix of tight ends in Denver and viewed as expendable by the Broncos.
A year later, he is the Vikings' only representative at the Pro Bowl this Saturday in Honolulu. While Matt Birk was selected, his wedding is scheduled for the same day so he won't be making the trip, meaning Chamberlain will be the Vikings' only representative.
The turn in the Vikings' fortunes helped create the lack of Pro Bowl players. After the 2000 season, seven Vikings were named to the Pro Bowl, including starters Daunte Culpepper, Randy Moss and Cris Carter and reserves Birk, Robert Griffith, Korey Stringer and Robert Smith.
Success breeds success and, if the Pro Bowl is any indication, lack of success comes back to haunt you.
* This year is the first time in Moss' four-year career that he wasn't named to the Pro Bowl.
* This year also snaps eight straight Pro Bowl appearances for Cris Carter.
* With Chamberlain and Birk as the only Vikings at the Pro Bowl, it is the least Vikings selected since 1985, when Joey Browner was the only selection.
* In recent years the Vikings have been well represented in Hawaii, sending seven players last year, five following the 1999 season and a whopping 10 players in 1998.
* The Vikings' lack of success also translated on the 19th annual All-Madden team produced by FOX-TV. Only Birk was named to the team.
Chamberlain Prepares For Pro Bowl
Viking Update Top Stories
Sunday slant: Jumping the gun on TeddyTeddy Bridgewater’s knee rehab to this point has been impressive, but it’s best to appreciate the progress without conjecture of what it might mean in the future.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:23 AM
Burden of proofMichael Floyd will be in court tomorrow, but he may find the NFL to have a higher innocence threshold than the legal system.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:08 AM
WATCH: Pat Elflein in actionPat Elflein is hoping to earn a starting spot at center for the Minnesota Vikings. Watch his movement skills as he goes through drills at organized team activities and minicamp.
Viking UpdateSaturday at 11:05 AM
The price is right?Derek Carr once again raised the quarterback payment bar. A lot of NFL teams are wondering how high the price tags can go?
Viking UpdateSaturday at 6:12 AM