A year ago, Byron Chamberlain was in a mix of tight ends in Denver and viewed as expendable by the Broncos.
A year later, he is the Vikings' only representative at the Pro Bowl this Saturday in Honolulu. While Matt Birk was selected, his wedding is scheduled for the same day so he won't be making the trip, meaning Chamberlain will be the Vikings' only representative.
The turn in the Vikings' fortunes helped create the lack of Pro Bowl players. After the 2000 season, seven Vikings were named to the Pro Bowl, including starters Daunte Culpepper, Randy Moss and Cris Carter and reserves Birk, Robert Griffith, Korey Stringer and Robert Smith.
Success breeds success and, if the Pro Bowl is any indication, lack of success comes back to haunt you.
* This year is the first time in Moss' four-year career that he wasn't named to the Pro Bowl.
* This year also snaps eight straight Pro Bowl appearances for Cris Carter.
* With Chamberlain and Birk as the only Vikings at the Pro Bowl, it is the least Vikings selected since 1985, when Joey Browner was the only selection.
* In recent years the Vikings have been well represented in Hawaii, sending seven players last year, five following the 1999 season and a whopping 10 players in 1998.
* The Vikings' lack of success also translated on the 19th annual All-Madden team produced by FOX-TV. Only Birk was named to the team.
Chamberlain Prepares For Pro Bowl
Viking Update Top Stories
NFC North a M*A*S*H* unitThe Minnesota Vikings have been hit harder by injuries than any playoff contender this year, but Green Bay and Chicago aren't far behind.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:26 PM
Do-or-die time for VikingsIt has taken a lot of losing to acknowledge, but Minnesota Vikings players are finally admitting their margin for error is gone.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:06 AM
Fan forum: Evaluating the front officeAs injuries pile up and the Minnesota Vikings are making their mark, positive and negative, we wondered what fans attending a recent Vikings game thought of the performance of the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:22 AM
Defense mostly overrode Locke’s strugglesJeff Locke had his worst game of the season against the team with the NFL’s best record, but the Minnesota Vikings defense did what it could to overcome it.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:54 AM
Cowboys blitzed and bruised BradfordThe Minnesota Vikings wanted to take their shots deep and did. But Sam Bradford also took his shots to the body from a blitz-heavy Cowboys defense. The numbers and reaction inside.
Viking UpdateFriday at 1:15 PM