A year ago, Byron Chamberlain was in a mix of tight ends in Denver and viewed as expendable by the Broncos.
A year later, he is the Vikings' only representative at the Pro Bowl this Saturday in Honolulu. While Matt Birk was selected, his wedding is scheduled for the same day so he won't be making the trip, meaning Chamberlain will be the Vikings' only representative.
The turn in the Vikings' fortunes helped create the lack of Pro Bowl players. After the 2000 season, seven Vikings were named to the Pro Bowl, including starters Daunte Culpepper, Randy Moss and Cris Carter and reserves Birk, Robert Griffith, Korey Stringer and Robert Smith.
Success breeds success and, if the Pro Bowl is any indication, lack of success comes back to haunt you.
* This year is the first time in Moss' four-year career that he wasn't named to the Pro Bowl.
* This year also snaps eight straight Pro Bowl appearances for Cris Carter.
* With Chamberlain and Birk as the only Vikings at the Pro Bowl, it is the least Vikings selected since 1985, when Joey Browner was the only selection.
* In recent years the Vikings have been well represented in Hawaii, sending seven players last year, five following the 1999 season and a whopping 10 players in 1998.
* The Vikings' lack of success also translated on the 19th annual All-Madden team produced by FOX-TV. Only Birk was named to the team.
Chamberlain Prepares For Pro Bowl
Viking Update Top Stories
Cornerbacks: Will Vikings have a need?The necessity for free-agent help at cornerback in a flooded market may have more to do with decisions made internally for the guys they already have.
Viking Update7:03 AM
Sunday slant: Spielman has studiesMinnesota Vikings general manager says he has color coding for draft prospects in abundance, but he has plenty of analytical studies that have produced exactly the conclusions you…
Viking Update6:38 AM
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:11 AM
Notebook: Zimmer holding off on surgeryMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is holding off on another eye surgery until after the heavy travel period; and we also look at the futures of Chad Greenway and Adam Thielen.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:36 AM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 2)Who was a star basketball player who honed his skills in the boxing ring? What small-school star's abs have abs? What star rusher was taken under his father's wing? Those answers…
Packer ReportFriday at 7:19 PM