A year ago, Byron Chamberlain was in a mix of tight ends in Denver and viewed as expendable by the Broncos.
A year later, he is the Vikings' only representative at the Pro Bowl this Saturday in Honolulu. While Matt Birk was selected, his wedding is scheduled for the same day so he won't be making the trip, meaning Chamberlain will be the Vikings' only representative.
The turn in the Vikings' fortunes helped create the lack of Pro Bowl players. After the 2000 season, seven Vikings were named to the Pro Bowl, including starters Daunte Culpepper, Randy Moss and Cris Carter and reserves Birk, Robert Griffith, Korey Stringer and Robert Smith.
Success breeds success and, if the Pro Bowl is any indication, lack of success comes back to haunt you.
* This year is the first time in Moss' four-year career that he wasn't named to the Pro Bowl.
* This year also snaps eight straight Pro Bowl appearances for Cris Carter.
* With Chamberlain and Birk as the only Vikings at the Pro Bowl, it is the least Vikings selected since 1985, when Joey Browner was the only selection.
* In recent years the Vikings have been well represented in Hawaii, sending seven players last year, five following the 1999 season and a whopping 10 players in 1998.
* The Vikings' lack of success also translated on the 19th annual All-Madden team produced by FOX-TV. Only Birk was named to the team.
Chamberlain Prepares For Pro Bowl
Viking Update Top Stories
Spielman: ‘Plans in place’ with contractsThe Minnesota Vikings have several important decisions ahead of them at the quarterback position, but one has apparently already been made.
Viking Update8:25 AM
Podcast: AP’s new home, reacting to SpielmanWith the draft closing in, we react to Adrian Peterson’s new home, Rick Spielman’s press conference, character issues and more.
Viking Update7:23 AM
Mock draft, Round 2, Version 3In some cases, needs remained unfilled after Round 1 of our mock draft, but Round 2 is where to make up for that. While that’s often the case, we have the Minnesota Vikings going…
Viking Update6:28 AM
Viking Update Mock Draft, Version 6With diluted drug tests and final evaluations altering the stock and risks with some players, we reshuffle the deck and offer Version 6 of our first-round mock draft.
Viking Update6:21 AM