Onterrio Smith has made more news the past two weeks than he has during his entire NFL career. Unfortunately, it was the result of a baggage check instead of a 100-yard rushing day.
As the team began its latest developmental camp, Smith whisked past reporters without commenting on the events, instead simply saying "I've got to get to work."
The Vikings have become the focus of the NFL offseason in recent days because of the Smith fiasco, but, as of yet, no action has been taken by the NFL and none may be forthcoming. The Vikings, who can't punish Smith under the league's collective bargaining agreement, have remained equally silent, but several teammates stood up for Smith in his defense.
Where Smith's future lies remains up in the air, but one thing was confirmed Monday -- he's going to be in the spotlight ... and not for the reasons he or the Vikings would prefer.
* As reported last week, Corey Chavous and Brian Williams were no-shows at Monday's practice. Chavous is sitting out in a contract dispute, claiming his $1.9 million salary for 2005 is due compensation. Williams is sitting out because he has yet to sign his tendered offer of $1.4 million for 2005.
* Darren Sharper was also MIA Monday, but for a different reason. He was excused from practice because he is doing commentary on NFL Europe games.
* Matt Birk and Kevin Williams, both recovering from injuries, sat out Monday's practice.
* The agent for soon-to-be former Bears kicker Paul Edinger said the Vikings have yet to contact his client, which he interprets as meaning the team is satisfied with Aaron Elling heading into the 2005 season.
* In the ironic moment of May sweeps, Daunte Culpepper will appear on the George Lopez Show tonight on ABC. Two weeks ago, Lopez featured one of the stars of the cult hit film Napoleon Dynamite. In the episode, he wore a Raiders No. 18 jersey -- the new colors for former Viking Randy Moss.
Smith Mum on First Day of Camp
Viking Update Top Stories
Key matchup: Former teammates face offOnly time will tell who got the better of the Sam Bradford trade to the Minnesota Vikings, but he and Carson Wentz will face each other Sunday after the trade that surprised them…
Viking Update7:06 AM
Vikings podcast: Spielman, Bradford and moreThe Minnesota Vikings are showing the fruits of some solid roster building and coaching. Their record, their stats and their depth prove it, as a talk with Rick Spielman showed.
Viking Update6:17 AM
Vikings rush offense needs to improveThe Minnesota Vikings are the lone unbeaten team in the NFL, yet they are failing at one of the typical telltale signs of a winning team - being able to control the clock with a…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:23 PM
Vikings turned 2010 postponement into partyThe 2010 Minnesota Vikings suffered through a decade's worth of twists and turns - almost all of them bad. The one exception? A really long weekend in Philadelphia, where it isn't…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:55 PM