The Vikings have resigned themselves to the fact that Cris Carter is gone. Now they have to deal with losing Robert Griffith.
Griffith is drawing free agent interest from several teams, but the Cleveland Browns are taking it one step further.
As reported earlier in the week, the Browns have an interest in Griff, but VU was told Saturday by a Browns source involved in the personnel direction of the team that Griffith has become their top free agent priority.
Cleveland is willing to back up the Brinks truck for Griffith, a deal the Vikings can't or won't match -- meaning another tenured Viking may soon be getting his mail elsewhere.
Griffith has been targeted by the Vikings as the top free agent priority, but if Foge Fazio and the Browns are hellbent on signing Griffith, the Vikings would be well advised to take a pass on the deal and let him go. He's a talent, but not worth the $4-5 million a year being thrown around the rumor table.
Welcome to the new look free agency.
* The Vikings aren't oblivious to the free agent frenzy. Looking to bolster the defensive front, the Vikes have scheduled to bring in Miami's Kenny Mixon and Lorenzo Brumell as well as the Patriots' Brandon Mitchell as early as Monday. The Vikings are growing concerned over interest shown in free agents they assumed would be re-signed and that could be reflected in the coming days.
* Dale Carter and Jake Reed are continuing the Brothers Across America tour, planning a visit to Dallas. While the Saints seem to be the top suitors, Dallas has money to spend for both of the brothers.
* While Cris Carter looks destined to land in St. Louis, there is interest from Cleveland, Miami and New Orleans, who will each offer more money than the Rams.
* Mike Tice pointed out at the Combine that in five games Randy Moss was the target of 40 percent or more of the team's passes, the Vikes won four of those and, in the fifth -- vs. Pittsburgh -- should have won. Tice is saying do the math -- in the games Moss wasn't such a target, the Vikings were 1-10 (4-1 when he was).
* The Vikings have scheduled a "kickoff" for punters and kickers for Monday, March 11, at the Metrodome.
* The Vikings plan to bring in linebackers Henri Crockett (Atlanta) and Greg Favors (Tennessee) for visits later this week.
Griff Next To Go?
Viking Update Top Stories
Zimmer will travel, coach; location uncertainMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer will travel with his team on Saturday but says doctor’s orders are that he shouldn’t get hit.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:02 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer talks Jaguars, run game, moreMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer talks about the running game, the Jaguars defense, Adam Thielen, his coaching status and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:34 AM
Vikings starters Berger, Smith ruled outThe Minnesota Vikings could be without starting center Joe Berger and starting safety Harrison Smith on Sunday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:39 AM
Hard-core stats: Vikings vs. JaguarsA look at just how much and where Jacksonville has struggled this season and where the Minnesota Vikings might be able to take advantage.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:39 AM
Zimmer sees class of 2015 stepping upThe Vikings find themselves in a desperate current situation, but Mike Zimmer has long-term optimism over a couple of Day 2 picks from the 2015 draft
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:21 AM