The Vikings have resigned themselves to the fact that Cris Carter is gone. Now they have to deal with losing Robert Griffith.
Griffith is drawing free agent interest from several teams, but the Cleveland Browns are taking it one step further.
As reported earlier in the week, the Browns have an interest in Griff, but VU was told Saturday by a Browns source involved in the personnel direction of the team that Griffith has become their top free agent priority.
Cleveland is willing to back up the Brinks truck for Griffith, a deal the Vikings can't or won't match -- meaning another tenured Viking may soon be getting his mail elsewhere.
Griffith has been targeted by the Vikings as the top free agent priority, but if Foge Fazio and the Browns are hellbent on signing Griffith, the Vikings would be well advised to take a pass on the deal and let him go. He's a talent, but not worth the $4-5 million a year being thrown around the rumor table.
Welcome to the new look free agency.
* The Vikings aren't oblivious to the free agent frenzy. Looking to bolster the defensive front, the Vikes have scheduled to bring in Miami's Kenny Mixon and Lorenzo Brumell as well as the Patriots' Brandon Mitchell as early as Monday. The Vikings are growing concerned over interest shown in free agents they assumed would be re-signed and that could be reflected in the coming days.
* Dale Carter and Jake Reed are continuing the Brothers Across America tour, planning a visit to Dallas. While the Saints seem to be the top suitors, Dallas has money to spend for both of the brothers.
* While Cris Carter looks destined to land in St. Louis, there is interest from Cleveland, Miami and New Orleans, who will each offer more money than the Rams.
* Mike Tice pointed out at the Combine that in five games Randy Moss was the target of 40 percent or more of the team's passes, the Vikes won four of those and, in the fifth -- vs. Pittsburgh -- should have won. Tice is saying do the math -- in the games Moss wasn't such a target, the Vikings were 1-10 (4-1 when he was).
* The Vikings have scheduled a "kickoff" for punters and kickers for Monday, March 11, at the Metrodome.
* The Vikings plan to bring in linebackers Henri Crockett (Atlanta) and Greg Favors (Tennessee) for visits later this week.
Griff Next To Go?
Viking Update Top Stories
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking Update10:11 AM
Notebook: Zimmer holding off on surgeryMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is holding off on another eye surgery until after the heavy travel period; and we also look at the futures of Chad Greenway and Adam Thielen.
Viking Update8:36 AM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 2)Who was a star basketball player who honed his skills in the boxing ring? What small-school star's abs have abs? What star rusher was taken under his father's wing? Those answers…
Packer ReportYesterday at 7:19 PM
Combine Research: Defensive Ends (Part 1)Which top prospect has been without his mom for most of his life? Who is the son of a former NFL star? Who are two of the top small-school standouts? Those answers and more as we…
Packer ReportYesterday at 6:54 PM