Despite what you may have heard about Donnie Abraham coming to Minnesota, Mike Tice played some of the same hardball with him that he's played with other free agents and, by not stepping up, the Vikings got a better deal in signing Arizona CB Corey Chavous.
Chavous signed a four-year deal worth $9.6 million, averaging $1.9 million in base salary with a $2 million signing bonus -- a contract about $2 million less than what Abraham was seeking.
Mike Tice has told VU that the signing eliminates Abraham from the Vikings' plans, but the team will likely still pursue Fred Vinson of Seattle, who had an impressive workout and meetings with Vikings staff. The team expects to have an offer on the table for Vinson by the end of the weekend and are hopeful of getting a deal completed.
* The Vikings may have been lucky to get Chavous. VU has been told that as many as seven teams were interested in signing Chavous, including a couple that wanted to move him to safety because of his run-stopping ability.
* If a move is made to switch Matt Birk to left tackle, it won't come until June, according to Tice in a Friday interview with VU. The Vikings would like to get a left tackle in the draft, using one of their top two picks to snag a OLT.
* Friday a judge denied a request from the Vikings to move the Korey Stringer wrongful death trial from Minneapolis to Mankato. The Vikings had believed that, since his death occured in Mankato, that's where the trial should be, while the attorneys for the Stringer family contended that all of the principals in the trial live in the Twin Cities and that is where the trial should be held. The judge sided with the Stringer family, but no trial date has been set.
* WR Jerome Pathon will visit the Vikings Monday, but will also be sent to a foot specialist in Minneapolis to check the condition of his ailing foot before a contract offer is extended. If everything comes out fine, Pathon is seen as the front runner for a job. That said, however, the Vikings are in negotiations with D'Wayne Bates on a contract offer, but, because he is a restricted free agent, the Bears would have a right to match the offer. If Chicago doesn't match the offer, the Vikings wouldn't have to give any compensation, thanks to a clerical error by the Bears before the free agent period began.
* The Vikings' preseason game at the Pittsburgh Steelers has been moved to Thursday, Aug. 29. The start time remains 6:30 p.m. Central Time. It was
originally scheduled for Friday.
* Despite saying he is going take some time to think about his options, another indication that receiver Cris Carter may opt to sign with the
Dolphins (besides the fact that they are the only team showing any real interest in him right now) is that Carter has been building a log cabin in
the Miami area for some time. There's no place like home.
* The latest grist in the rumor mill has Cleveland looking to move up to the Vikings No. 7 pick by offering the No. 16 pick, a No. 3 pick this year and a No. 2 pick last year. Tice told VU there is no truth to that rumor and, as of yet, no team has made an offer to the Vikings. The Browns offer seems a bit strange rumor anyway, since the team is targeting a running back and, thanks to Atlanta signing Warrick Dunn, it looks like the Browns can stay where they're at and get their choice of running back at their current selection.
Chavous Ends Abraham Speculation
Viking Update Top Stories
Key matchup: Former teammates face offOnly time will tell who got the better of the Sam Bradford trade to the Minnesota Vikings, but he and Carson Wentz will face each other Sunday after the trade that surprised them…
Viking Update7:06 AM
Vikings podcast: Spielman, Bradford and moreThe Minnesota Vikings are showing the fruits of some solid roster building and coaching. Their record, their stats and their depth prove it, as a talk with Rick Spielman showed.
Viking Update6:17 AM
Vikings rush offense needs to improveThe Minnesota Vikings are the lone unbeaten team in the NFL, yet they are failing at one of the typical telltale signs of a winning team - being able to control the clock with a…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:23 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer on final preps for EaglesMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer discusses some key players for Philadelphia, his defense and if Jake Long could play.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:02 PM