Injuries are always a part of dealing with life in the NFL, but a shoulder injury sustained Monday forced the Vikings to change things up a bit. Guard Chris Liwienski suffered what was thought to be a mild separation of his left shoulder in practice Monday and, until he returns, the Vikings will have to make some major changes to the line.
Because of the injury, Adam Goldberg was moved from left guard to right guard, replacing Liwienski, while rookie Marcus Johnson was inserted into the starting lineup at left guard.
Liwienski will be re-evaluated today.
* It's looking more like the Vikings will hold off on returning Matt Birk to game action until next week vs. the Chargers.
* Tice was very concise Monday when he said the team won't keep two kickers. So far, the battle in camp is close to a draw.
* Safety Dustin Fox had surgery on his broken arm and will likely be placed on injured reserve.
* An MRI on Fred Smoot's ailing knee showed no major damage and he has a chance to play Friday, but Tice said he would have to show something in practice today for that to happen.
* The team released LB Quincy Stewart Monday.
* Ken Irvin has been moved to free safety, a position he's never played in his career.
Liwienski Hurt In Practice
Viking Update Top Stories
LockedownThe Minnesota Vikings have been doing a lot well in their 5-0 start to the season. While punter Jeff Locke doesn't get his name mentioned often among those game-changers, he is…
Viking Update4:35 PM
A 315-pound Peter Pan? For SirlesMinnesota Vikings offensive lineman Jeremiah Sirles is quite certain him in his emergency Halloween costume of Peter Pan will make it out on social media. We look forward with…
Viking Update1:57 PM
Diggs appears on track to playThe Minnesota Vikings appear to be on track to get their leading receiver back for their Sunday matchup with the Philadelphia Eagles.
Viking Update1:26 PM
VIDEO: Norv Turner on offensive successMinnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner talks about the success of Sam Bradford, the return of Taylor Heinicke and the variety of receivers on the team.
Viking Update11:25 AM