Anyone who knows the NFL knows that the Jets coaching staff is as emotional as any in the league. Coaches have routinely yelled at one another and, on occasion, even had to be restrained from going after one another.
It was under this strain that Herm Edwards and Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell had a serious falling out late in the 2003 season. When they couldn't reconcile their differences, Cottrell was fired and promptly hired by the Vikings.
Friday will mark the first meeting between the Vikings and the Jets since Cottrell was dismissed and will be the first chance for Cottrell and Edwards to line up opposite one another on the sidelines.
It will also mark the first time that Sam Cowart has returned to the Jets home since being traded to the Vikings for a seventh-round draft pick.
With Chad Pennington likely to make his first appearance of the preseason Friday, nothing would please Cottrell more than to see his defensive charges put a beating down on the young Jets QB. It might be a wise move for Edwards to keep a tight leash on Pennington because you know Cottrell and Cowart both have something to prove to Edwards and the Jets fans.
* About 8,000 fans attended the final "Thud" scrimmage Wednesday night in Mankato.
* After today's practices, the Vikings will break camp tomorrow.
* In the scrimmage, Paul Edinger took a step back in his kicking duel with Aaron Elling by missing a 29-yard field goal.
* How fed up is Mike Tice with his guard play in camp? After threatening to bring in David Dixon, who is working with Burnsville High School's football team as a volunteer coach, Tuesday he let a fan take a few reps at the position.
* Anthony Herrera remained hospitalized with a leg infection Tuesday and won't play Friday vs. the Jets.
* From the strange twist of fate department comes this: the Vikings received a seventh-round pick from the Raiders in the Randy Moss trade. They used a seventh-round pick to trade to the Jets for Cowart. Looking to recoup their seventh-round pick, the Raiders made a trade with the Jets that allowed the Jets to move one pick in front of the Vikings in the second round. The Jets used that pick to take kicker Mike Nugent -- who was the anticipated selection of the Vikings one pick later.
This Time It's Personal
Viking Update Top Stories
Four D-linemen, Kendricks set Vikings recordsDanielle Hunter and three other defensive linemen set records for the Minnesota Vikings in 2016, as did linebacker Eric Kendricks. We detail the franchise records they set or tied.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:29 AM
Paton a frontrunner for 49ers G.M. openingThe San Francisco 49ers are looking for their fourth head coach in four years and the hope is that Kyle Shanahan and Vikings Assistant General Manager George Paton can be the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:58 AM
Vikings announce changes in coaching staffThe Minnesota Vikings officially announced a few changes to their coaching staff.
Viking UpdateFriday at 11:35 PM
Assessing metrics for Vikings’ receiversThe Minnesota Vikings have some big decisions to make with their receivers not named Stefon Diggs. We look at playing time, metrics and grades from 2016 to help you assess their…
Viking UpdateFriday at 2:48 PM