Matt Birk's hip surgery came at a time where the timetable for his return was somewhere between the third preseason game and the start of the regular season. Now even the back end of that prediction is up in the air.
When Birk had the surgery in July, VU openly speculated at the timetable projection, which we felt was a bit aggressive considering that much of his problem centered on being pushed back too soon last year.
Now it appears that the healing process is coming slower than anticipated. Mike Tice said there is no reason for alarm, that Birk is progressing slower than hoped, but he is still progressing.
Until he returns, Birk's place in the starting lineup will be taken by Cory Withrow.
* RB Ciatrick Fason is expected to be sidelined two to three weeks with a high ankle sprain.
* Anthony Herrera, who had been hospitalized with a leg infection since last Sunday, was released from the hospital Saturday.
* It would appear that E.J. Henderson has won the weakside linebacker job ... for now. He will be the starter when the Vikings play the Chargers on Friday.
* The Vikings have the first batch of cuts due this week, but plan to make a handful or more on Monday due more to space considerations at the team's training facility than wanting players to get a chance to hook on with someone else.
* Hovan: the Rebirth -- Former Viking Chris Hovan sparkled under his new tutors in Tampa Saturday, registering one tackle with no sacks and no assists. The extra effort paid off, although one VU scout said the tackle came as the result of a player stumbling over a prone Hovan.
Birk a No-Go For Opener?
Viking Update Top Stories
Four D-linemen, Kendricks set Vikings recordsDanielle Hunter and three other defensive linemen set records for the Minnesota Vikings in 2016, as did linebacker Eric Kendricks. We detail the franchise records they set or tied.
Viking Update7:29 AM
Paton a frontrunner for 49ers G.M. openingThe San Francisco 49ers are looking for their fourth head coach in four years and the hope is that Kyle Shanahan and Vikings Assistant General Manager George Paton can be the…
Viking Update6:58 AM
Vikings announce changes in coaching staffThe Minnesota Vikings officially announced a few changes to their coaching staff.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:35 PM
Assessing metrics for Vikings’ receiversThe Minnesota Vikings have some big decisions to make with their receivers not named Stefon Diggs. We look at playing time, metrics and grades from 2016 to help you assess their…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:48 PM