Matt Birk's hip surgery came at a time where the timetable for his return was somewhere between the third preseason game and the start of the regular season. Now even the back end of that prediction is up in the air.
When Birk had the surgery in July, VU openly speculated at the timetable projection, which we felt was a bit aggressive considering that much of his problem centered on being pushed back too soon last year.
Now it appears that the healing process is coming slower than anticipated. Mike Tice said there is no reason for alarm, that Birk is progressing slower than hoped, but he is still progressing.
Until he returns, Birk's place in the starting lineup will be taken by Cory Withrow.
* RB Ciatrick Fason is expected to be sidelined two to three weeks with a high ankle sprain.
* Anthony Herrera, who had been hospitalized with a leg infection since last Sunday, was released from the hospital Saturday.
* It would appear that E.J. Henderson has won the weakside linebacker job ... for now. He will be the starter when the Vikings play the Chargers on Friday.
* The Vikings have the first batch of cuts due this week, but plan to make a handful or more on Monday due more to space considerations at the team's training facility than wanting players to get a chance to hook on with someone else.
* Hovan: the Rebirth -- Former Viking Chris Hovan sparkled under his new tutors in Tampa Saturday, registering one tackle with no sacks and no assists. The extra effort paid off, although one VU scout said the tackle came as the result of a player stumbling over a prone Hovan.
Birk a No-Go For Opener?
Viking Update Top Stories
Zimmer sees class of 2015 stepping upThe Vikings find themselves in a desperate current situation, but Mike Zimmer has long-term optimism over a couple of Day 2 picks from the 2015 draft
Viking Update5:21 AM
Boone wary of Jaguars with nothing to loseAt 2-10, the Jacksonville Jaguars have one of the worst records in the NFL, but Vikings guard Alex Boone said the team can't overlook the Jags because they're better than their…
Viking Update5:04 AM
Harris sees maturation in his gameMinnesota Vikings safety Harrison Smith isn't expected to play Sunday, so for the second straight year backup Anthony Harris finds himself front and center before a critical late…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:12 PM
VIDEO: Priefer seeks better playMinnesota Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer talks about a homecoming to Jacksonville and his desire to see better play from his special teams.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:45 PM
VIDEO: Shurmur on Jaguars, the playbook, moreMinnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur talks about the Jacksonville defense, the latest setback at center and working through tough times on offense.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:16 PM