Matt Birk's hip surgery came at a time where the timetable for his return was somewhere between the third preseason game and the start of the regular season. Now even the back end of that prediction is up in the air.
When Birk had the surgery in July, VU openly speculated at the timetable projection, which we felt was a bit aggressive considering that much of his problem centered on being pushed back too soon last year.
Now it appears that the healing process is coming slower than anticipated. Mike Tice said there is no reason for alarm, that Birk is progressing slower than hoped, but he is still progressing.
Until he returns, Birk's place in the starting lineup will be taken by Cory Withrow.
* RB Ciatrick Fason is expected to be sidelined two to three weeks with a high ankle sprain.
* Anthony Herrera, who had been hospitalized with a leg infection since last Sunday, was released from the hospital Saturday.
* It would appear that E.J. Henderson has won the weakside linebacker job ... for now. He will be the starter when the Vikings play the Chargers on Friday.
* The Vikings have the first batch of cuts due this week, but plan to make a handful or more on Monday due more to space considerations at the team's training facility than wanting players to get a chance to hook on with someone else.
* Hovan: the Rebirth -- Former Viking Chris Hovan sparkled under his new tutors in Tampa Saturday, registering one tackle with no sacks and no assists. The extra effort paid off, although one VU scout said the tackle came as the result of a player stumbling over a prone Hovan.
Birk a No-Go For Opener?
Viking Update Top Stories
Burden of proofMichael Floyd will be in court tomorrow, but he may find the NFL to have a higher innocence threshold than the legal system.
Viking Update5:08 AM
WATCH: Pat Elflein in actionPat Elflein is hoping to earn a starting spot at center for the Minnesota Vikings. Watch his movement skills as he goes through drills at organized team activities and minicamp.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:05 AM
The price is right?Derek Carr once again raised the quarterback payment bar. A lot of NFL teams are wondering how high the price tags can go?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:12 AM
Vikings hire new head strength coachThe Minnesota Vikings moved quickly to replace their head strength and conditioning coach on Friday.
Viking UpdateFriday at 8:07 PM