Koren Robinson has a court date set for Wednesday of this week. Because of the uncertainty of what could come of that, the Vikings made a surprise move late Saturday -- effectively releasing Robinson and removing him from the 53-man roster.
The move was made with Robinson's knowledge and he is expected to be re-signed Tuesday if he clears waivers. The difference in the release and re-sign move is that, if Robinson had been on the roster for Week 1, the Vikings would have been liable for his entire $540,000 salary in 2005. After Week 1, any vesterd veteran that is signed and subsequently released is paid a pro-rated share of his contract.
The team is expected to re-sign Robinson after tonight's game concludes Week 1 of the regular season ... as long as he clears waivers, which was the risk in releasing him.
* Despite continual denials over the last several months, the Vikings employed a 3-4 defensive alignment often during Sunday's game and it may become more of a staple of the defense if the linebacker play for the Vikings improves.
* Rookie Marcus Johnson became the first rookie O-lineman since Todd Steussie to start as a rookie, but was benched in the second half after being overwhelmed by the Bucs defensive front.
* The Vikings' record in games in which Michael Bennett has five or more carries dropped to a dismal 15-31 Sunday, drawing some to conclude that, if Mike Tice doesn't save his job this season, his commitment to Bennett could be partially to blame.
* Rookie Erasmus James was among the players deactivated Sunday.
* Ralph Brown replaced Brian Williams in the nickel situations at cornerback after Williams, who was burned much of the preseason, was scorched a couple of times in the first half Sunday.
* Daunte Culpepper tied a personal record Sunday with five turnovers on offense, which he last did in a 2003 loss to the then-hapless Oakland Raiders.
* Culpepper also saw a streak of 21 straight games with at least one TD snapped as well.
Koren Robinson Cut, But Should Return
Viking Update Top Stories
Cornerbacks: Will Vikings have a need?The necessity for free-agent help at cornerback in a flooded market may have more to do with decisions made internally for the guys they already have.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:03 AM
Sunday slant: Spielman has studiesMinnesota Vikings general manager says he has color coding for draft prospects in abundance, but he has plenty of analytical studies that have produced exactly the conclusions you…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:38 AM
Combine Research: Outside Linebacker (Part 2)Who did everything at college? Who is short on height but long on production? Who was deemed not good enough to stay on the roster? Who is following in his brother's walk-on…
Packer ReportSaturday at 8:07 PM
Combine Research: Outside Linebacker (Part 1)Who brought the hate for Alabama? Who is best known for his hair (and sacks)? Whose brother was a former NBA first-round draft pick? Those answers and more as we get to know the…
Packer ReportSaturday at 7:47 PM
Men in the middle: Scouting free-agent MLBsThe Vikings aren't in the pressing-need category for a middle linebacker, but with Audie Cole a free agent and Mike Zimmer looking to amass troops, it isn't out of the question.
Viking UpdateSaturday at 10:11 AM