Sam Cowart was brought into Minnesota to provide veteran leadership to arguably the weakest position on the Vikings team. When he went down in the opener, it caused a shuffling of roles with the team, moving second-year man Rod Davis into the starting role and, when E.J. Henderson went down, put Dontarrious Thomas back into the starting lineup.
But Cowart proclaimed himself ready to go Thursday, backing it up by taking part in the entire practice session in preparation for the Saints Sunday.
Barring a setback, Cowart is expected to be in the starting lineup -- although as a precaution, the team will likely spell him on specific downs and distances to keep him fresh and reduce the chance of a recurrance of the injury.
* How critical is Sunday's game? Since 1990, 74 teams have begun the season 0-3. Of those, just three have made the playoffs.
* Watch out for TE Ernie Conwell Sunday. In the last 13 games, the Vikings have allowed opposing tight ends to score 14 touchdowns.
* The Vikings have just two sacks through two games.
* Defensive end Lance Johnstone was added to the injury report after tweaking a hamstring in practice. But, he is listed as probable and expected to play.
* Mewelde Moore had a 100-yard rushing game last season vs. the Saints and is a native of Louisiana.
* A Cardinals executive told an Arizona newspaper that the trade discussions concerning Michael Bennett were initiated by the Vikings.
Cowart to Start Sunday
Viking Update Top Stories
Hard-core stats: Vikings at EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings will look to exploit some of the weaknesses the Eagles have shown lately, including one strength for the Vikings and one weakness. We go deep into where the…
Viking Update5:04 AM
Born to run … with backups?Perhaps no other division came into 2016 more dependent on strong running games to succeed as much as the NFC North. But, in just the seventh week of the season, all four teams…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:23 PM
LockedownThe Minnesota Vikings have been doing a lot well in their 5-0 start to the season. While punter Jeff Locke doesn't get his name mentioned often among those game-changers, he is…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:35 PM
A 315-pound Peter Pan? For SirlesMinnesota Vikings offensive lineman Jeremiah Sirles is quite certain him in his emergency Halloween costume of Peter Pan will make it out on social media. We look forward with…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:57 PM