In the first three games of his career, Chris Kluwe has been a bright spot on an otherwise inconsistent Vikings team. He has replaced Darren Bennett, who was being routinely booed for awful punting height and distance, and has made fans along the way for him booming punts.
The NFL rewarded Kluwe Wednesday, naming him NFC Special Teams Player of the Month. Kluwe is the first Vikings rookie to win a player of the month honor.
Through three games, he has averaging 49.9 per punt -- a full six yards better than any other NFC punter.
* The injury woes continue to mount on the Vikings defense. Keneche Udeze is the latest casualty, suffering swelling in his knee that is being termed a meniscus problem. He didn't practice Wednesday and isn't likely to play Sunday.
* If Udeze can't go, rookie Erasmus James, who has seen very little action to date this season, would start.
* Darren Sharper sat out practice Wednesday but hopes to give his ailing knee a try today. If he can't start, converted corner Ken Irvin would likely start in his place -- the team placed Willie Offord on I.R. earlier in the week.
* E.J. Henderson still hasn't practiced and is doubtful for Sunday. If he is forced to sit, Dontarrious Thomas would take his place.
* Lance Johnstone got a second opinion from renowned Alabama surgeon James Andrews, who agreed with Vikings doctors that he doesn't need surgery on his ailing shoulder. He will try to practice today, but is listed as doubtful.
* As if those aren't enough, Brian Williams is listed as out for Sunday's game. He'll be replaced at nickel back by Ralph Brown.
Kluwe Special Teamer of Month
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings have plenty of optionsRoger Goodell won't announce a Minnesota Vikings pick, but the water is fine for Minnesota to enter as the war room assesses the landscape of the 2017 draft ready to make their…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:48 PM
Mocks for Minnesota on Day 2The speculative mock drafts run deeper than the first round, with 212 versions of 52 mock drafts munched by Scout.com. Here is how some of them saw the Minnesota Vikings going in…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:25 PM
Vikings testify to production after Round 1The Minnesota Vikings didn’t have a first-round pick, but those drafted after Day 1 testify to the importance of what they do after the draft, not where they were drafted.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:03 PM
2017 VIKINGS DRAFT GUIDEInformation on the Minnesota Vikings' 2017 draft, from where they pick to position analysis, links to stories, mock drafts and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:35 PM