In the first three games of his career, Chris Kluwe has been a bright spot on an otherwise inconsistent Vikings team. He has replaced Darren Bennett, who was being routinely booed for awful punting height and distance, and has made fans along the way for him booming punts.
The NFL rewarded Kluwe Wednesday, naming him NFC Special Teams Player of the Month. Kluwe is the first Vikings rookie to win a player of the month honor.
Through three games, he has averaging 49.9 per punt -- a full six yards better than any other NFC punter.
* The injury woes continue to mount on the Vikings defense. Keneche Udeze is the latest casualty, suffering swelling in his knee that is being termed a meniscus problem. He didn't practice Wednesday and isn't likely to play Sunday.
* If Udeze can't go, rookie Erasmus James, who has seen very little action to date this season, would start.
* Darren Sharper sat out practice Wednesday but hopes to give his ailing knee a try today. If he can't start, converted corner Ken Irvin would likely start in his place -- the team placed Willie Offord on I.R. earlier in the week.
* E.J. Henderson still hasn't practiced and is doubtful for Sunday. If he is forced to sit, Dontarrious Thomas would take his place.
* Lance Johnstone got a second opinion from renowned Alabama surgeon James Andrews, who agreed with Vikings doctors that he doesn't need surgery on his ailing shoulder. He will try to practice today, but is listed as doubtful.
* As if those aren't enough, Brian Williams is listed as out for Sunday's game. He'll be replaced at nickel back by Ralph Brown.
Kluwe Special Teamer of Month
Viking Update Top Stories
Sunday slant: WR holds free-agent intrigueThe Minnesota Vikings have more pressing positions to solve in free agency than wide receiver, but there are interesting and altering decisions ahead at the position.
Viking Update6:30 AM
Why should fans expect Peterson to stay?Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson sent out a cryptic tweet about the New York Giants’ recent roster moves, but those who would be surprised if he ends up somewhere else don't…
Viking Update5:14 AM
Podcast: A.P.’s best landing spots and moreAdrian Peterson seems to be sending out indications of where he would like to play, but what teams are the best fits? Plus, roster moves, their meaning and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:26 AM
Hip surgery complicates Line’s offseasonMinnesota Vikings fullback Zach Line talked about a hip injury that hampered him in 2016.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:31 AM