In the first three games of his career, Chris Kluwe has been a bright spot on an otherwise inconsistent Vikings team. He has replaced Darren Bennett, who was being routinely booed for awful punting height and distance, and has made fans along the way for him booming punts.
The NFL rewarded Kluwe Wednesday, naming him NFC Special Teams Player of the Month. Kluwe is the first Vikings rookie to win a player of the month honor.
Through three games, he has averaging 49.9 per punt -- a full six yards better than any other NFC punter.
* The injury woes continue to mount on the Vikings defense. Keneche Udeze is the latest casualty, suffering swelling in his knee that is being termed a meniscus problem. He didn't practice Wednesday and isn't likely to play Sunday.
* If Udeze can't go, rookie Erasmus James, who has seen very little action to date this season, would start.
* Darren Sharper sat out practice Wednesday but hopes to give his ailing knee a try today. If he can't start, converted corner Ken Irvin would likely start in his place -- the team placed Willie Offord on I.R. earlier in the week.
* E.J. Henderson still hasn't practiced and is doubtful for Sunday. If he is forced to sit, Dontarrious Thomas would take his place.
* Lance Johnstone got a second opinion from renowned Alabama surgeon James Andrews, who agreed with Vikings doctors that he doesn't need surgery on his ailing shoulder. He will try to practice today, but is listed as doubtful.
* As if those aren't enough, Brian Williams is listed as out for Sunday's game. He'll be replaced at nickel back by Ralph Brown.
Kluwe Special Teamer of Month
Viking Update Top Stories
Floyd to serve one more day in jailMinnesota Vikings receiver Michael Floyd got an additional day of jail time and other penalties for violating terms of his house arrest.
Viking Update1:49 PM
U.S. Bank Stadium wins international awardWith Minnesota Vikings executives pitching plaudits, U.S. Bank Stadium took home an international stadium award.
Viking Update12:30 PM
WATCH: Laquon Treadwell at OTAs, minicampLaquon Treadwell is trying to earn a much bigger role with the Minnesota Vikings in his second year. Watch as he goes through drills and routes at OTAs and minicamp.
Viking Update11:31 AM
Vikings see a lot to like with WeatherlyMinnesota Vikings coaches and players see a lot of similarities between the development of Danielle Hunter and Stephen Weatherly.
Viking Update7:07 AM
Schedule could be edge for VikingsNormal is going to abnormal for the Packers to start the 2017 season. Could the schedule tip the balance of power in the NFC North?
Viking Update5:32 AM