The Vikings returned to their only full practice of the bye week Thursday with a couple of familiar faces roaming around Winter Park. Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio, brought in this week to serve as consultants to review the Vikings' offensive and defensive schemes, were on hand to watch practice. But for one of them, it could be the start of something big.
Rhome, a veteran offensive mind, is expected to assume the role of playcalling. While Steve Loney will retain the title of O.C., Rhome will likely be in the booth in charge of playcalling while Loney focuses on working more with the offensive line.
"I've just been here this one practice. It was very spirited," Rhome said. "I told Mike (Tice), it was a very spirited workout. That is not a 1-3 team practicing, and it's not a 1-3 team that's got its heads between their legs. That was kind of fun, I know they are competitors here because I have been watching them. The Vikings have that kind of history for being a competitive football team. I don't think that there is any doubt in my mind that Mike is going to get this team turned around."
"I have been with teams that have struggled for a while and came back. The NFL is not easy. You have 32 teams out there fighting for the same thing. Sometimes you have some low moments, it is what you do in those low moments that puts you back on top. We are going to find out what the Vikings are made of. It is not going to be the first time that the Vikings have fallen back."
* Daunte Culpepper had a cortisone shot in his ailing knee and missed Thursday's practice.
* A former Pioneer Press writer now working in Denver claims Michael Bennett is all but certain to be traded to Denny Green and the Cardinals before the Oct. 18 trade deadline. Although the Vikings are dangerously thin at RB and Moe Williams had his knee on ice Thursday at Winter Park, the report claims that the disgruntled Bennett will sign a long-term deal with the Cardinals. What the Vikings would receive in exchange wasn't discussed.
* Those trying to get Tice fired have been busy. Jimmy Johnson has been contacted concerning a potential job opening by media types but expressed no interest in coming to Minnesota.
* With Kenechi Udeze out for the season, the Vikings plan to work out at least three players -- Antonio Cochran (last with the Seahawks), Anton Palepoi (Denver) and Matt Mitirione (Vikings).
* Tice said Thursday that Adam Goldberg will replace Marcus Johnson as the starter at right guard.
From Rhome to the O.C.
Viking Update Top Stories
When good rumors go badAt his Wednesday press conference, Seattle coach Pete Carroll answered a question pertaining to the health issues the Seahawks are having at offensive tackle and, as part of his…
Viking Update4:53 AM
Harrison Smith: No reason for changeThe Minnesota Vikings’ perfect season hit a brick wall Sunday at Philadelphia, but safety Harrison Smith said the panic on the outside of Winter Park isn't being shared on the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:44 PM
Munnerlyn likes Cutler’s risk-taking waysCaptain Munnerlyn likened Jay Cutler to Brett Favre, calling him a “gunslinger,” but Cutler was at his best when he conformed last year.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:32 AM
Did Vikings have bounty system?In a new book released recently, the claim is made that the Minnesota Vikings had a bounty system in place at the same time the Saints were eventually swept up in the Bountygate…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:25 AM
Fusco: O-line problems correctableAs players and coaches watched film of Sunday's loss to Philadelphia, more than a few them got an uneasy feeling. Not because the Eagles dominated them as much as it appeared, but…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:15 AM