The Vikings envisioned a starting lineup at the beginning of the year that would be one of the most of the impressive in the NFC. But it included Matt Birk, who is gone for the season, Nate Burleson, who has been injured much of the season, several other players who have missed all or parts of games and Michael Bennett, who played his way out of a starting role.
On Wednesday, Mike Tice announced that Burleson and CB Brian Williams would miss another week and added that LB Keith Newman, who has been one of the few bright spots so far this season, will start Sunday.
Williams replaces Napoleon Harris, a player acquired in the trade that sent Randy Moss to the Raiders. Harris is expected to split time with Dontarrious Thomas in nickel packages.
* A list of 17 Vikings players has been turned over to authorities investigating last week's incident on Lake Minnetonka. One player who admitted being on the boat was RB Mewelde Moore, but he denied that there was any wrongdoing.
* As if the Vikings didn't have enough depth problems at DE with the loss of Kenechi Udeze, the team likely won't have Spencer Johnson for Sunday's game.
* At the end of his weekly talk show Wednesday, it's being reported that Tice guaranteed a win Sunday vs. the Bears. Considering he's never won there on the road, that could be a statement that comes back to bite him.
* Moe Williams was again hobbled at practice, wearing an ice bag on his knee and is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game.
* Previously injured starters Darren Sharper, E.J. Henderson and Lance Johnstone are all set to return to the lineup Sunday barring any last-minute setbacks.
* Tice hinted that, if he has a solid couple of days of practice, Melvin Fowler could well replace Cory Withrow as the starter -- again making Withrow one of the top backup centers in the league.
* The Bears will debut kicker Robbie Gould Sunday after releasing former Viking Doug Brien.
Burleson, Williams Out; Newman In
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Murray on his ankle, expected returnVIDEO: Minnesota Vikings RB Latavius Murray on his ankle, expected return
Viking Update11:14 AM
Welcome home or good riddance?In an ironic twist, Adrian Peterson's first game of his post-Vikings career will come at U.S. Bank Stadium. How are fans going to respond?
Viking Update8:37 AM
3-for-1 NFL draft-week specialBuy one month of VikingUpdate.com and get the next two months free.
Viking Update4:59 AM
Report: Peterson finalizes two-year dealAdrian Peterson has a new home after agreeing to a two-year deal that will bring him back to Minnesota for Week 1 … playing against the Vikings.
Viking Update4:51 AM
Mayock on Vikings’ ‘splash’ decisionWithout a first-round pick, what does NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock expect from the Minnesota Vikings’ second-round pick?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:36 PM