The Vikings envisioned a starting lineup at the beginning of the year that would be one of the most of the impressive in the NFC. But it included Matt Birk, who is gone for the season, Nate Burleson, who has been injured much of the season, several other players who have missed all or parts of games and Michael Bennett, who played his way out of a starting role.
On Wednesday, Mike Tice announced that Burleson and CB Brian Williams would miss another week and added that LB Keith Newman, who has been one of the few bright spots so far this season, will start Sunday.
Williams replaces Napoleon Harris, a player acquired in the trade that sent Randy Moss to the Raiders. Harris is expected to split time with Dontarrious Thomas in nickel packages.
* A list of 17 Vikings players has been turned over to authorities investigating last week's incident on Lake Minnetonka. One player who admitted being on the boat was RB Mewelde Moore, but he denied that there was any wrongdoing.
* As if the Vikings didn't have enough depth problems at DE with the loss of Kenechi Udeze, the team likely won't have Spencer Johnson for Sunday's game.
* At the end of his weekly talk show Wednesday, it's being reported that Tice guaranteed a win Sunday vs. the Bears. Considering he's never won there on the road, that could be a statement that comes back to bite him.
* Moe Williams was again hobbled at practice, wearing an ice bag on his knee and is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game.
* Previously injured starters Darren Sharper, E.J. Henderson and Lance Johnstone are all set to return to the lineup Sunday barring any last-minute setbacks.
* Tice hinted that, if he has a solid couple of days of practice, Melvin Fowler could well replace Cory Withrow as the starter -- again making Withrow one of the top backup centers in the league.
* The Bears will debut kicker Robbie Gould Sunday after releasing former Viking Doug Brien.
Burleson, Williams Out; Newman In
Viking Update Top Stories
Sunday slant: Planning for future has risksThe Minnesota Vikings have plenty of salary-cap space, but most of that is likely to be allocated for extensions.
Viking Update7:48 AM
Youth movement?Are the Minnesota Vikings looking to get younger in a hurry? The lack of older outside veterans brought in is silently speaking volumes.
Viking Update6:49 AM
Holler: You think you've got pain?When it comes to painful sports losses, there's something about 'Sconny and nobody has lived out that nightmare more than the Packers. What kind of pain would you rather have?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:08 AM
Peterson responds to report on asking priceAdrian Peterson responded to a report about his asking price in free agency, but it’s still not clear what his asking price really is.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:11 AM
Vikings release 2014 3rd-round pick CrichtonAfter a lackluster three years with the Minnesota Vikings, Scott Crichton is out on the open market.
Viking UpdateFriday at 11:10 AM