The relationship between Daunte Culpepper and Matt Birk has been one of being acknowledged co-leaders of the offense. But, according to a couple of players that witnessed an altercation Friday, it might be a relationship that is strained at best.
Birk and Culpepper allegedly had words over comments Birk made about a Sports Illustrated story on the Vikings. Culpepper effectively told Birk to mind his own business and keep out of the matter, while Birk stood by his comments.
While the matter blew over without any further incident, it is just another sign that things aren't going too well in paradise for the Vikings this season.
* The likelihood of the team employing the 3-4 defense again this week took a step forward when Mike Tice announced that defensive lineman Spencer Johnson will miss Sunday's game with the Packers.
* Cornerback Brian Williams has also been ruled out for Sunday's game.
* The Packers haven't officially made a decision on whether Ahman Green will play Sunday, but VU has been told to expect to see him in the starting lineup.
* The latest backlash of the Vikings boat scandal came from Best Buy. The electronics chain store canceled a scheduled autograph signing with current Vikings Bryant McKinnie and Mike Rosenthal scheduled for today in conjunction with a new store opening. Instead, VU's own Bob Lurtsema and former Twin Jack Morris filled in at the autograph signing.
* New Viking Toniu Fonoti tipped the scales at 404 pounds at his first Viking weigh-in.
* Daunte Culpepper needs 146 passing yards to top 20,000 yards for his career.
* The Vikings will be collecting non-perishable food items at Sunday's game to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank. Fans who wish to contribute can do so by dropping off food at the entrance gates around the Metrodome from 10 a.m. to noon Sunday.
Culpepper, Birk Have Words
Viking Update Top Stories
Barr in ‘a better place mentally, physically’Anthony Barr appears to have all the athleticism needed to be an elite linebacker for the Minnesota Vikings, but he realizes there is plenty of improvement to be had.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 3:28 PM
Spielman: ‘Plans in place’ with contractsThe Minnesota Vikings have several important decisions ahead of them at the quarterback position, but one has apparently already been made.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:25 AM
Podcast: AP’s new home, reacting to SpielmanWith the draft closing in, we react to Adrian Peterson’s new home, Rick Spielman’s press conference, character issues and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:23 AM
Mock draft, Round 2, Version 3In some cases, needs remained unfilled after Round 1 of our mock draft, but Round 2 is where to make up for that. While that’s often the case, we have the Minnesota Vikings going…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:28 AM
Viking Update Mock Draft, Version 6With diluted drug tests and final evaluations altering the stock and risks with some players, we reshuffle the deck and offer Version 6 of our first-round mock draft.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:21 AM