The relationship between Daunte Culpepper and Matt Birk has been one of being acknowledged co-leaders of the offense. But, according to a couple of players that witnessed an altercation Friday, it might be a relationship that is strained at best.
Birk and Culpepper allegedly had words over comments Birk made about a Sports Illustrated story on the Vikings. Culpepper effectively told Birk to mind his own business and keep out of the matter, while Birk stood by his comments.
While the matter blew over without any further incident, it is just another sign that things aren't going too well in paradise for the Vikings this season.
* The likelihood of the team employing the 3-4 defense again this week took a step forward when Mike Tice announced that defensive lineman Spencer Johnson will miss Sunday's game with the Packers.
* Cornerback Brian Williams has also been ruled out for Sunday's game.
* The Packers haven't officially made a decision on whether Ahman Green will play Sunday, but VU has been told to expect to see him in the starting lineup.
* The latest backlash of the Vikings boat scandal came from Best Buy. The electronics chain store canceled a scheduled autograph signing with current Vikings Bryant McKinnie and Mike Rosenthal scheduled for today in conjunction with a new store opening. Instead, VU's own Bob Lurtsema and former Twin Jack Morris filled in at the autograph signing.
* New Viking Toniu Fonoti tipped the scales at 404 pounds at his first Viking weigh-in.
* Daunte Culpepper needs 146 passing yards to top 20,000 yards for his career.
* The Vikings will be collecting non-perishable food items at Sunday's game to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank. Fans who wish to contribute can do so by dropping off food at the entrance gates around the Metrodome from 10 a.m. to noon Sunday.
Culpepper, Birk Have Words
Viking Update Top Stories
Diggs reaching rare Vikings airStefon Diggs is on pace for a couple milestones that haven’t been reached by a Minnesota Vikings receiver in this decade.
Viking Update3:05 PM
First half is doom and gloom for JaguarsThe Jacksonville Jaguars are too good to be 2-10, but, despite a talented roster, early struggles have been their undoing all season.
Viking Update8:38 AM
Preview: Jags loaded with talent, turnoversThe Jacksonville Jaguars should be better than their record indicates, but turnovers have been the Jaguars’ undoing.
Viking Update7:59 AM
Podcast: The odds on A.P., playoffsWill Adrian Peterson make it back and should he, and what are the odds the Minnesota Vikings make the playoffs?
Viking Update7:01 AM