The relationship between Daunte Culpepper and Matt Birk has been one of being acknowledged co-leaders of the offense. But, according to a couple of players that witnessed an altercation Friday, it might be a relationship that is strained at best.
Birk and Culpepper allegedly had words over comments Birk made about a Sports Illustrated story on the Vikings. Culpepper effectively told Birk to mind his own business and keep out of the matter, while Birk stood by his comments.
While the matter blew over without any further incident, it is just another sign that things aren't going too well in paradise for the Vikings this season.
* The likelihood of the team employing the 3-4 defense again this week took a step forward when Mike Tice announced that defensive lineman Spencer Johnson will miss Sunday's game with the Packers.
* Cornerback Brian Williams has also been ruled out for Sunday's game.
* The Packers haven't officially made a decision on whether Ahman Green will play Sunday, but VU has been told to expect to see him in the starting lineup.
* The latest backlash of the Vikings boat scandal came from Best Buy. The electronics chain store canceled a scheduled autograph signing with current Vikings Bryant McKinnie and Mike Rosenthal scheduled for today in conjunction with a new store opening. Instead, VU's own Bob Lurtsema and former Twin Jack Morris filled in at the autograph signing.
* New Viking Toniu Fonoti tipped the scales at 404 pounds at his first Viking weigh-in.
* Daunte Culpepper needs 146 passing yards to top 20,000 yards for his career.
* The Vikings will be collecting non-perishable food items at Sunday's game to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank. Fans who wish to contribute can do so by dropping off food at the entrance gates around the Metrodome from 10 a.m. to noon Sunday.
Culpepper, Birk Have Words
Viking Update Top Stories
Munnerlyn played through sprain and painAs free agency approaches, Minnesota Vikings cornerback Captain Munnerlyn says he came back from an ankle injury far sooner than doctors recommended but wanted to help the team win…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:26 PM
Johnson confident as free agency approachesMinnesota Vikings receiver Charles Johnson has a lot of confidence in his skills but not a lot of immediate control with his future as a restricted free agent.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:07 AM
Defensive ends: Depth no issue in free agencyThe Minnesota Vikings likely don't have a big need at defensive end in free agency, but, if the price is right, an older guy might get a call and a low-ball offer.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:06 AM
Combine Research: Guards (Part 2)What top prospect was a 210-pounder in high school? Who weighed about 400 in college? Who are some small-school gems? Those answers and more as we get to know the top guards.
Packer ReportTuesday at 8:39 PM