Mewelde Moore, as the story goes, got in coach Mike Tice's doghouse last year when nagging injuries kept him sidelined longer than the old ball coach thought they should. While Tice dismissed the term doghouse when discussing the situation last year with Moore, he did find similarities between last year and this season.
Moore, who was injured on a hit out of bounds by Lions safety Kenoy Kennedy, had an MRI done on his right wrist Monday. While the MRI showed nothing more serious than a sprain, the Vikings head into Sunday's game with the Giants with a big question mark around Moore.
"If a running back can't hold the ball, that's not good," Tice said of the situation.
If Moore can't go or is in a reduced role, Michael Bennett, who had a season-high 106 yards vs. the Lions, would start Sunday. Moore's job returning punts would be taken by either Koren Robinson, Nate Burleson or Darren Sharper.
Tice said no final decisions will be made until later in the week.
* Tice would prefer to have Burleson return punts, but with a sore right knee, he doesn't want to push his star receiver.
* The Vikings had just three penalties Sunday and none called on the offense.
* The team is still balking at the notion of bringing in a third quarterback. Tice said Monday that in order to do so, he would have to cut somebody off the 53-man roster and, at this point, he doesn't see a clear-cut candidate to have that happen to.
* After reviewing film, Tice gave rave reviews to center Melvin Fowler, who not only held his ground in the passing game, but impressed coaches with running sweeps that key the rushing game.
* Of the 15 passing touchdowns the Vikings have allowed this year, 10 of them have gone to tight ends -- who have 19 touchdowns in the last 19 games vs. the Vikings.
Moore Maybe Sidelined
Viking Update Top Stories
2017 VIKINGS DRAFT GUIDEInformation on the Minnesota Vikings' 2017 draft, from where they pick to position analysis, links to stories, mock drafts and more.
Viking Update12:35 PM
Viking Update final mock draft, Round 2A late legal issue forces a former first-round value down to the bottom of the second round in our NFL mock draft, and a couple of other late changes in the second round.
Viking Update11:58 AM
Viking Update final mock draftLate-rising concerns, scheme fits and legal issues cause some minor tweaking in our NFL final mock, just on time for draft day.
Viking Update11:50 AM
Vikes hope Floyd’s knee ‘starts acting right’Minnesota Vikings teammates are hoping Sharrif Floyd returns to full health.
Viking Update5:51 AM
Red flags flying with defensive prospectsWhy are some of the top defensive prospects in the NFL draft going to drop father than their talents indicate they should? Because more than 50 of them have red flags that impact…
Viking Update5:14 AM