When Fred Smoot went down on the sidelines last Sunday in clear pain, there was some belief that he might be embellishing his injury after a rough couple of weeks. As it turns out, Smoot wasn't a good actor after all.
MRI results Wednesday confirmed that Smoot has a broken collarbone and will be sidelined a minimum of four weeks and possibly six. The Vikings expect Smoot to return, so at this point, there's no plan to put him on injured reserve.
In his place, the Vikings will return Brian Williams, who held out of minicamp after being knocked out of the starting role, into Smoot's vacated position.
With Williams in the starting lineup, Ralph Brown gets elevated to the nickel back, with Dovonte Edwards as the dime back and Laroni Gallishaw as the fifth corner.
* Mike Tice said that there shouldn't be a parallel drawn between the release of Ken Irvin earlier this week and the injury to Smoot. Tice said Irvin was strictly a safety and wouldn't have been shifted to corner had he still been on the roster. Irvin was released when the Vikings signed No. 3 quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan.
* Daunte Culpepper is scheduled to have surgery in the next week or so and has selected renowned orthapedist James Andrews, who has become something of the surgeon to the stars in the last decade, to perform the surgery.
* There is still no commitment from Tice as to who will be his starting running back, although Mewelde Moore said he's ready and expects to start. Moore, who wore a splint on his injured right wrist in practice Wednesday is listed as probable, but Tice hasn't announced whether he or Michael Bennett will get the starting nod Sunday.
* Moe Williams didn't finish practice Wednesday with a knee problem and is listed as doubtful.
* Also on the Vikings injury report is DL Spencer Johnson, who returned to action last week but is listed as doutful with a knee injury. If he can't go, the Vikings will turn to rookie nose tackle C.J. Mosley.
* The Giants have three key defensive players listed on their injury report. CB William Peterson (back) is out and two others -- LB Carlos Emmons (pectoral strain) and safety Shaun Williams (hamstring) are listed as doubtful.
Smoot Injury Shuffles Deck
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Zimmer tired of talking about his eyeMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer wasn't in the mood to discuss his ailing eye anymore, wanting to keep the focus on correcting mistakes and trying to beat Jacksonville.
Viking Update3:52 PM
VIDEO: Bradford on offensive strugglesMinnesota Vikings QB Sam Bradford talks about getting Mike Zimmer back and the offensive problems that have plagued the team.
Viking Update3:45 PM
Zimmer takes blame for ‘undisciplined’ teamThe Minnesota Vikings have cited “undisciplined” mistakes and penalties for their recent losses, but who speaks up on offense when needed?
Viking Update3:31 PM
Smith remains Vikings’ biggest injury concernThe Minnesota Vikings are healthier after their extended weekend off, but one big injury looms.
Viking Update1:13 PM