When Fred Smoot went down on the sidelines last Sunday in clear pain, there was some belief that he might be embellishing his injury after a rough couple of weeks. As it turns out, Smoot wasn't a good actor after all.
MRI results Wednesday confirmed that Smoot has a broken collarbone and will be sidelined a minimum of four weeks and possibly six. The Vikings expect Smoot to return, so at this point, there's no plan to put him on injured reserve.
In his place, the Vikings will return Brian Williams, who held out of minicamp after being knocked out of the starting role, into Smoot's vacated position.
With Williams in the starting lineup, Ralph Brown gets elevated to the nickel back, with Dovonte Edwards as the dime back and Laroni Gallishaw as the fifth corner.
* Mike Tice said that there shouldn't be a parallel drawn between the release of Ken Irvin earlier this week and the injury to Smoot. Tice said Irvin was strictly a safety and wouldn't have been shifted to corner had he still been on the roster. Irvin was released when the Vikings signed No. 3 quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan.
* Daunte Culpepper is scheduled to have surgery in the next week or so and has selected renowned orthapedist James Andrews, who has become something of the surgeon to the stars in the last decade, to perform the surgery.
* There is still no commitment from Tice as to who will be his starting running back, although Mewelde Moore said he's ready and expects to start. Moore, who wore a splint on his injured right wrist in practice Wednesday is listed as probable, but Tice hasn't announced whether he or Michael Bennett will get the starting nod Sunday.
* Moe Williams didn't finish practice Wednesday with a knee problem and is listed as doubtful.
* Also on the Vikings injury report is DL Spencer Johnson, who returned to action last week but is listed as doutful with a knee injury. If he can't go, the Vikings will turn to rookie nose tackle C.J. Mosley.
* The Giants have three key defensive players listed on their injury report. CB William Peterson (back) is out and two others -- LB Carlos Emmons (pectoral strain) and safety Shaun Williams (hamstring) are listed as doubtful.
Smoot Injury Shuffles Deck
Viking Update Top Stories
Munnerlyn played through sprain and painAs free agency approaches, Minnesota Vikings cornerback Captain Munnerlyn says he came back from an ankle injury far sooner than doctors recommended but wanted to help the team win…
Viking Update1:26 PM
Johnson confident as free agency approachesMinnesota Vikings receiver Charles Johnson has a lot of confidence in his skills but not a lot of immediate control with his future as a restricted free agent.
Viking Update7:07 AM
Defensive ends: Depth no issue in free agencyThe Minnesota Vikings likely don't have a big need at defensive end in free agency, but, if the price is right, an older guy might get a call and a low-ball offer.
Viking Update4:06 AM
Combine Research: Guards (Part 2)What top prospect was a 210-pounder in high school? Who weighed about 400 in college? Who are some small-school gems? Those answers and more as we get to know the top guards.
Packer ReportYesterday at 8:39 PM
Combine Research: Guards (Part 1)Who dreamed of being an NHL goalie? Who was born in London and chased his dream in the United States? Who didn't think he'd even play in 2016? Those answers and more as we get to…
Packer ReportYesterday at 8:23 PM