Heading into the 2005 draft, there was speculation that wide receiver Braylon Edwards could potentially fall all the way to the Vikings at No. 7. With several teams already set with their selections, if Edwards made it past the Browns at No. 3, he could slide all the way to the Vikings.
That didn't happen and, to ask some of the Vikings' scouting personnel, it wouldn't have mattered -- since the team had Troy Williamson rated higher than Edwards on their draft board. Regardless, the two top players at their position are scheduled to meet as pros for the first time Sunday, but VU is hearing it may not happen after all.
The word immediately following the Vikings win over the Packers was that Williamson had sustained a separated right shoulder -- a prognosis that was downgraded to a bruised AC joint on Tuesday. Williamson has practiced all week, but still remains up in the air for Sunday's game.
With Nate Burleson set to return Sunday and Koren Robinson taking on a bigger role in the offense, the Vikings may opt to err on the side of caution and de-activate Williamson. If that's the case, the big matchup between the top two wideouts of the Class of '05 will have to wait until 2009 to have a head-to-head meeting.
PLAYER CAROUSEL NEWS
* Carousel No. 1. It appears as though Mewelde Moore will get the start Sunday, but he has been practicing all week on not one but two sprained ankles, so Michael Bennett had best be ready to come in at a moment's notice.
* Carousel No. 2. Guard Toniu Fonoti is not expected to be active Sunday. Anthony Herrera takes over as the starter at the left guard position this week, following Chris Liwienski, Fonoti and Marcus Johnson at the position.
* Carousel No. 3. Melvin Fowler has practiced all week and took all the snaps at center with the first team Friday, indicating that he will replace Cory Withrow as the starting center.
* Carousel No. 4. DT Spencer Johnson is allegedly healthy enough to play Sunday, but Tice hasn't committed to whether he is going to activate Johnson or C.J. Mosley. It is unlikely that both of them will be active.
* Carousel No. 5. Tice hasn't indicated who his starter at right tackle will be. Marcus Johnson replaced Mike Rosenthal last week and took almost all of the first-team snaps Friday, but Tice hasn't announced a clear-cut starter for Sunday -- keeping the always-turgid offensive line situation in even further flux.
Rookie Showdown May Not Happen
Viking Update Top Stories
Playoff status will determine A.P.’s returnAdrian Peterson spoke with the local media Wednesday, saying he’s pushing for a return this season but that his availability may be determined by the Minnesota Vikings’ playoff…
Viking Update12:27 PM
Vikings see internal problemsThe Minnesota Vikings can blame others and even teammates for their problems, but they realize it’s put-up-or-shut-up time.
Viking Update7:12 AM
3 Vikings in top five for Pro Bowl votingThree Minnesota Vikings are among the top five at their respective positions for Pro Bowl voting among fans. See the vote counts and why Cordarrelle Patterson is not in the top…
Viking Update6:34 AM
Smith’s availability key to final runThe Vikings have suffered as many key injuries as any team in the NFL. The latest casualty may be safety Harrison Smith.
Viking Update4:17 AM
Zimmer: ‘I let an awful lot of people down’Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer seems to understand the seriousness of his eye surgery, but felt he let people down by not being able to coach on Thursday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:06 PM