Heading into the 2005 draft, there was speculation that wide receiver Braylon Edwards could potentially fall all the way to the Vikings at No. 7. With several teams already set with their selections, if Edwards made it past the Browns at No. 3, he could slide all the way to the Vikings.
That didn't happen and, to ask some of the Vikings' scouting personnel, it wouldn't have mattered -- since the team had Troy Williamson rated higher than Edwards on their draft board. Regardless, the two top players at their position are scheduled to meet as pros for the first time Sunday, but VU is hearing it may not happen after all.
The word immediately following the Vikings win over the Packers was that Williamson had sustained a separated right shoulder -- a prognosis that was downgraded to a bruised AC joint on Tuesday. Williamson has practiced all week, but still remains up in the air for Sunday's game.
With Nate Burleson set to return Sunday and Koren Robinson taking on a bigger role in the offense, the Vikings may opt to err on the side of caution and de-activate Williamson. If that's the case, the big matchup between the top two wideouts of the Class of '05 will have to wait until 2009 to have a head-to-head meeting.
PLAYER CAROUSEL NEWS
* Carousel No. 1. It appears as though Mewelde Moore will get the start Sunday, but he has been practicing all week on not one but two sprained ankles, so Michael Bennett had best be ready to come in at a moment's notice.
* Carousel No. 2. Guard Toniu Fonoti is not expected to be active Sunday. Anthony Herrera takes over as the starter at the left guard position this week, following Chris Liwienski, Fonoti and Marcus Johnson at the position.
* Carousel No. 3. Melvin Fowler has practiced all week and took all the snaps at center with the first team Friday, indicating that he will replace Cory Withrow as the starting center.
* Carousel No. 4. DT Spencer Johnson is allegedly healthy enough to play Sunday, but Tice hasn't committed to whether he is going to activate Johnson or C.J. Mosley. It is unlikely that both of them will be active.
* Carousel No. 5. Tice hasn't indicated who his starter at right tackle will be. Marcus Johnson replaced Mike Rosenthal last week and took almost all of the first-team snaps Friday, but Tice hasn't announced a clear-cut starter for Sunday -- keeping the always-turgid offensive line situation in even further flux.
Rookie Showdown May Not Happen
Viking Update Top Stories
Peterson discusses non-Vikings optionsAdrian Peterson appeared on ESPN's First Take Thursday and got caught up in a discussion of teams he may be interested in playing for if things don't work out with the Minnesota…
Viking Update12:01 PM
Vikings’ odds to win Super Bowl LIIThe odds are out for Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium a year from now. The Vikings aren't one of the favorites, but they are getting respect from oddsmakers.
Viking Update7:12 AM
Vikings were only average in special teamsThe Minnesota Vikings ranked in the top seven in two of the five special teams categories used in the rankings, but were in the bottom seven in two other categories.
Viking Update6:52 AM
Vikings near bottom in cap carryoverWith four teams sporting more than $20 million available to carry over in salary-cap space, the Minnesota Vikings are one of five teams with less than $1 million available in that…
Scout NFL NetworkYesterday at 10:01 AM
Too many factors in Thielen not getting 1,000Adam Thielen obviously wanted to get to 1,000 yards. But he was only targeted once in the season finale and still took that in stride.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:53 AM