The Vikings have always done a good job of replacing injured starters with capable replacements. When Fred Smoot went down, Brian Williams stepped up his game. When Daunte Culpepper was injured, Brad Johnson stepped in. The same was true Sunday when All-Pro Kevin Williams went down with a knee injury. Rookie C.J. Mosley got the call and delivered -- tying for the team lead with seven tackles Sunday. But the Vikings are hoping it will only be a one-week wonder.
Williams described a "looseness" in his right knee after the game and is scheduled for an MRI today. His status for Sunday's game with the Lions is very much in doubt, as could be the short-term future.
The Vikings will know more today -- most likely when Mike Tice conducts his press conference this afternoon. VU will follow up on this story, but at this point, there are a lot of players and coaches keeping their fingers crossed and hoping for the best.
* Despite being listed as probable on the injury report, Troy Williamson was inactive Sunday. The same scenario played itself out last Monday when Nate Burleson was listed as probable and then de-activated before gametime.
* Speaking of Burleson, he didn't have a reception Sunday.
* Koren Robinson got his first start as a Viking on Sunday.
* The Vikings have a new, very large cheerleader. Anthony Herrera displayed his touchdown celebration dance when the Vikings scored their touchdowns Sunday -- a high knee-kicking dance that started from the line of scrimmage and continued all the way to the bench.
* Browns running back Reuben Droughns acknowledged Pat Williams' performance Sunday. Williams had given the Browns some bulletin board material by saying he wasn't concerned about Droughns, rather that Droughns should be concerned about him. The Vikings limited Droughns to no touchdowns and only two carries of 10 yards or more.
* Fred Smoot could be back for Sunday's game at Detroit.
* The Vikings had their first perfect November since 1999.
* The Vikings had seven penalties Sunday -- five of which were called on rookie Marcus Johnson.
Williams To Get MRI Today
Viking Update Top Stories
Outside Linebacker: Replacing GreenwayIt’s been almost two months since the Vikings’ last game and we’re still waiting for the announcement of Chad Greenway’s retirement. Who will replace him? There are candidates.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:44 PM
Spielman: Bradford in prime of his careerWith the benefit of hindsight, Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said he would do the Sam Bradford trade again in a millisecond.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:15 PM
Spielman: Peterson ‘will always be a Viking’While it appears the Minnesota Vikings have made a decision on Adrian Peterson’s future – or lack of it – with the team, they aren’t ready to announce it.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:46 PM
Bridgewater not doing QB activities yetWhile the Minnesota Vikings don’t have any timeline on Teddy Bridgewater’s return to football, he continues to rehab.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:09 PM