As if the Lions don't already have enough problems, the team was forced to downgrade RB Kevin Jones to questionable for Sunday's game, a move new coach Dick Jauron said would be "a game-time decision at best."
The plan for this week was to take some of the heat off QB Jeff Garcia by giving Jones the ball 20-25 times. With him potentially out, that duty would fall to Shawn Bryson and Artose Pinner -- both of whom are averaging just four carries a game.
Jauron still holds out some hope that Jones will play, but the word out of Lions Country says that may be a little too optimistic.
* As expected Toniu Fonoti was placed on injured reserve. The big offensive lineman ended up playing less than one game with the Vikings, who traded a Day Two draft pick to get him. He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, but the Vikings are hopeful that he will re-sign with the team.
* To replace Fonoti on the 53-man roster, the Vikings signed defensive end Eric Taylor from the practice squad.
* For the first time this season, the Vikings are going to go with eight offensive linemen on the game-day active roster. As a result, it appears that rookie WR Troy Williamson will be de-activated for a second straight week.
* From the You Remember Randy Department comes this: two of the players the Vikings got in the Randy Moss trade -- Williamson and linebacker Napoleon Harris -- are expected to be de-activated for Sunday's game.
* Paul Edinger sat out Friday's practice to rest his ailing foot, but is expected to be good to go for Sunday.
* Lance Johnstone was fined $5,000 by the league for a late hit on Cleveland's Trent Dilfer.
Viking Update Top Stories
Sunday slant: Don’t blame BradfordSam Bradford has been getting criticism from some fans and observers, but a look at numerous analytics, and an overall view of the game, shows just how good he has been without…
Viking Update1:57 PM
NFC North a M*A*S*H* unitThe Minnesota Vikings have been hit harder by injuries than any playoff contender this year, but Green Bay and Chicago aren't far behind.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:26 PM
Do-or-die time for VikingsIt has taken a lot of losing to acknowledge, but Minnesota Vikings players are finally admitting their margin for error is gone.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:06 AM
Fan forum: Evaluating the front officeAs injuries pile up and the Minnesota Vikings are making their mark, positive and negative, we wondered what fans attending a recent Vikings game thought of the performance of the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:22 AM