As if the Lions don't already have enough problems, the team was forced to downgrade RB Kevin Jones to questionable for Sunday's game, a move new coach Dick Jauron said would be "a game-time decision at best."
The plan for this week was to take some of the heat off QB Jeff Garcia by giving Jones the ball 20-25 times. With him potentially out, that duty would fall to Shawn Bryson and Artose Pinner -- both of whom are averaging just four carries a game.
Jauron still holds out some hope that Jones will play, but the word out of Lions Country says that may be a little too optimistic.
* As expected Toniu Fonoti was placed on injured reserve. The big offensive lineman ended up playing less than one game with the Vikings, who traded a Day Two draft pick to get him. He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, but the Vikings are hopeful that he will re-sign with the team.
* To replace Fonoti on the 53-man roster, the Vikings signed defensive end Eric Taylor from the practice squad.
* For the first time this season, the Vikings are going to go with eight offensive linemen on the game-day active roster. As a result, it appears that rookie WR Troy Williamson will be de-activated for a second straight week.
* From the You Remember Randy Department comes this: two of the players the Vikings got in the Randy Moss trade -- Williamson and linebacker Napoleon Harris -- are expected to be de-activated for Sunday's game.
* Paul Edinger sat out Friday's practice to rest his ailing foot, but is expected to be good to go for Sunday.
* Lance Johnstone was fined $5,000 by the league for a late hit on Cleveland's Trent Dilfer.
Viking Update Top Stories
Sunday slant: Planning for future has risksThe Minnesota Vikings have plenty of salary-cap space, but most of that is likely to be allocated for extensions.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:48 AM
Youth movement?Are the Minnesota Vikings looking to get younger in a hurry? The lack of older outside veterans brought in is silently speaking volumes.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:49 AM
Holler: You think you've got pain?When it comes to painful sports losses, there's something about 'Sconny and nobody has lived out that nightmare more than the Packers. What kind of pain would you rather have?
Viking UpdateSaturday at 8:08 AM
Peterson responds to report on asking priceAdrian Peterson responded to a report about his asking price in free agency, but it’s still not clear what his asking price really is.
Viking UpdateSaturday at 7:11 AM