As if the Lions don't already have enough problems, the team was forced to downgrade RB Kevin Jones to questionable for Sunday's game, a move new coach Dick Jauron said would be "a game-time decision at best."
The plan for this week was to take some of the heat off QB Jeff Garcia by giving Jones the ball 20-25 times. With him potentially out, that duty would fall to Shawn Bryson and Artose Pinner -- both of whom are averaging just four carries a game.
Jauron still holds out some hope that Jones will play, but the word out of Lions Country says that may be a little too optimistic.
* As expected Toniu Fonoti was placed on injured reserve. The big offensive lineman ended up playing less than one game with the Vikings, who traded a Day Two draft pick to get him. He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, but the Vikings are hopeful that he will re-sign with the team.
* To replace Fonoti on the 53-man roster, the Vikings signed defensive end Eric Taylor from the practice squad.
* For the first time this season, the Vikings are going to go with eight offensive linemen on the game-day active roster. As a result, it appears that rookie WR Troy Williamson will be de-activated for a second straight week.
* From the You Remember Randy Department comes this: two of the players the Vikings got in the Randy Moss trade -- Williamson and linebacker Napoleon Harris -- are expected to be de-activated for Sunday's game.
* Paul Edinger sat out Friday's practice to rest his ailing foot, but is expected to be good to go for Sunday.
* Lance Johnstone was fined $5,000 by the league for a late hit on Cleveland's Trent Dilfer.
Viking Update Top Stories
Sunday slant: Jumping the gun on TeddyTeddy Bridgewater’s knee rehab to this point has been impressive, but it’s best to appreciate the progress without conjecture of what it might mean in the future.
Viking Update5:23 AM
Burden of proofMichael Floyd will be in court tomorrow, but he may find the NFL to have a higher innocence threshold than the legal system.
Viking Update5:08 AM
WATCH: Pat Elflein in actionPat Elflein is hoping to earn a starting spot at center for the Minnesota Vikings. Watch his movement skills as he goes through drills at organized team activities and minicamp.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:05 AM
The price is right?Derek Carr once again raised the quarterback payment bar. A lot of NFL teams are wondering how high the price tags can go?
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:12 AM