As if the Lions don't already have enough problems, the team was forced to downgrade RB Kevin Jones to questionable for Sunday's game, a move new coach Dick Jauron said would be "a game-time decision at best."
The plan for this week was to take some of the heat off QB Jeff Garcia by giving Jones the ball 20-25 times. With him potentially out, that duty would fall to Shawn Bryson and Artose Pinner -- both of whom are averaging just four carries a game.
Jauron still holds out some hope that Jones will play, but the word out of Lions Country says that may be a little too optimistic.
* As expected Toniu Fonoti was placed on injured reserve. The big offensive lineman ended up playing less than one game with the Vikings, who traded a Day Two draft pick to get him. He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, but the Vikings are hopeful that he will re-sign with the team.
* To replace Fonoti on the 53-man roster, the Vikings signed defensive end Eric Taylor from the practice squad.
* For the first time this season, the Vikings are going to go with eight offensive linemen on the game-day active roster. As a result, it appears that rookie WR Troy Williamson will be de-activated for a second straight week.
* From the You Remember Randy Department comes this: two of the players the Vikings got in the Randy Moss trade -- Williamson and linebacker Napoleon Harris -- are expected to be de-activated for Sunday's game.
* Paul Edinger sat out Friday's practice to rest his ailing foot, but is expected to be good to go for Sunday.
* Lance Johnstone was fined $5,000 by the league for a late hit on Cleveland's Trent Dilfer.
Viking Update Top Stories
Munnerlyn played through sprain and painAs free agency approaches, Minnesota Vikings cornerback Captain Munnerlyn says he came back from an ankle injury far sooner than doctors recommended but wanted to help the team win…
Viking Update1:26 PM
Johnson confident as free agency approachesMinnesota Vikings receiver Charles Johnson has a lot of confidence in his skills but not a lot of immediate control with his future as a restricted free agent.
Viking Update7:07 AM
Defensive ends: Depth no issue in free agencyThe Minnesota Vikings likely don't have a big need at defensive end in free agency, but, if the price is right, an older guy might get a call and a low-ball offer.
Viking Update4:06 AM
Combine Research: Guards (Part 2)What top prospect was a 210-pounder in high school? Who weighed about 400 in college? Who are some small-school gems? Those answers and more as we get to know the top guards.
Packer ReportYesterday at 8:39 PM
Combine Research: Guards (Part 1)Who dreamed of being an NHL goalie? Who was born in London and chased his dream in the United States? Who didn't think he'd even play in 2016? Those answers and more as we get to…
Packer ReportYesterday at 8:23 PM