The year was 1984. The Vikings were in the shambles year with Les Steckel at the helm. That's how far back Vikings fans have to go to find the statistical futility of the 2005 squad.
Granted, injuries have played a huge part in it, but the Vikings of 2005 could be the first team since that awful '84 squad to not have a 1,000-yard rusher, receiver or a 2,000-yard passer.
As it stands, Brad Johnson will have to average more than 250 yards to get his end of the deal done. Leading rusher Mewelde Moore will have to average more than 110 yards a game rushing in the final four to hold up his end of the bargain. And Jermaine Wiggins or Travis Taylor will have to average 130 yards a game to make it happen among the receivers.
It goes to show fans that statistics don't always tell the story. The awful team of 1984 was woeful -- arguably the worst in team history. The 2005 Vikings are on the brink of getting themselves back into the thick of the playoff chase. But they likely will end up sharing a dubious statistical record -- but proving that numbers don't always tell the story.
* Chris Kluwe will be examined today for injuries to both his left ankle and his right knee. The ankle injury looked more serious and Kluwe was wearing a protective boot after the game, claiming the injury was the result of a cheap shot.
* The loss for the Lions eliminated them from the NFC North title chase -- which is now down to only the Bears and Vikings.
* Napoleon Harris and Troy Williamson, the two players acquired in the deal that sent Randy Moss to the Raiders, were both de-activated by coach's decision Sunday.
* Mewelde Moore suffered a recurrence of his ankle sprain on a punt return in the first quarter, but is expected to be ready for Sunday's game with the Rams. He had just one carry Sunday.
* Brad Johnson topped 25,000 career yards passing in Sunday's win.
Vikes Face Individual Dilemma
Viking Update Top Stories
Key matchup: Former teammates face offOnly time will tell who got the better of the Sam Bradford trade to the Minnesota Vikings, but he and Carson Wentz will face each other Sunday after the trade that surprised them…
Viking Update7:06 AM
Vikings podcast: Spielman, Bradford and moreThe Minnesota Vikings are showing the fruits of some solid roster building and coaching. Their record, their stats and their depth prove it, as a talk with Rick Spielman showed.
Viking Update6:17 AM
Vikings rush offense needs to improveThe Minnesota Vikings are the lone unbeaten team in the NFL, yet they are failing at one of the typical telltale signs of a winning team - being able to control the clock with a…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:23 PM
Vikings turned 2010 postponement into partyThe 2010 Minnesota Vikings suffered through a decade's worth of twists and turns - almost all of them bad. The one exception? A really long weekend in Philadelphia, where it isn't…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:55 PM