The Vikings are expected to announce a pair of roster moves as the team returns to practice today. As reported earlier by VU, with the release of punter Darren Bennett, it keeps a roster spot open on the 53-man roster. That is expected to be filled by WR Chris Jones, who will be promoted from the practice squad.
The team is conducting tryouts Wednesday among some hand-picked linebackers and an announcement is expected later in the day as to who will be signed.
Bennett didn't do too bad for himself in two weeks on the 53-man roster -- making himself about $30,000, which should help make this a Merry Christmas.
* The Vikings held their second annual holiday party for needy families and entertainment was provided by some Vikings players, including Koren Robinson on lead vocals, Melvin Fowler on drums and safeties Corey Chavous and Darren Sharper on cowbell. One Viking, who requested anonymity, was heard to say, "I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell."
* Fowler's competent drum work aside, the center showed some solid improvement in his sprained ankle and is now being listed as about 50-50 to start Sunday. If he can't, Cory Withrow will start.
* Jermaine Wiggins remained in an immobilizing boot, but is expected to play Sunday.
* The news isn't as good for rookie tackle Marcus Johnson, who is expected to miss Sunday's game. If he doesn't show marked improvement, his spot in the starting lineup will be taken by Mike Rosenthal.
* Koren Robinson currently leads the NFC with a 26.6-yard kickoff return average.
* The Vikings-Steelers game last Sunday drew a 75 share -- meaning that three of every four TVs that were in use early Sunday afternoon were tuned into the game.
Vikes to Make Roster Moves
Viking Update Top Stories
Cutler’s back, drawing angry Vikings defenseThe Bears announced Monday that, in the midst of Chicago’s World Series frenzy, local goat Jay Cutler will be making his return to playing action. How will it go? The Minnesota…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:02 PM
Notebook: Problems extended beyond pass proThe Minnesota Vikings had obvious problems with pass protection, but there are other areas head coach Mike Zimmer is addressing, too.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:41 PM
Vikings will look at ‘all options’ to improveComing off a loss that Mike Zimmer termed “embarrassing,” a 21-10 defeat against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Minnesota Vikings will look at all options to rectify the situation.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:42 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer: 'This is a gut-check day'Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer recapped the first loss of the season by pointing out "several dumb things" he found to be uncharacteristic of his team.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:06 PM
Counting snaps: Vikings vs. EaglesDespite a “soft” performance on the offensive line, according to coach Mike Zimmer, the Minnesota Vikings seemed interested in getting a rotation going there.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:23 AM