Pat Williams has been one of the bright spots of the 2005 Vikings -- a free agent signing that has more than paid off. But Williams left the team Wednesday after the death of his father.
Williams, who left the team to travel to Monroe, La., told coach Mike Tice that he will be back to play Sunday. Tice said Thursday that he hadn't spoken with Williams since Tuesday night.
On behalf of Vikings fans and the VU staff, we'd like to send our condolences to Williams and his family.
* While the Bears technically have nothing to play for, Lovie Smith has indicated they will play the majority of their starters Sunday.
* Four starters -- cornerbacks Jerry Azumah and Charles Tillman, safety Mike Green and center Olin Kreutz -- as well as RB Cedric Benson, are all listed as questionable on the injury report. Linebacker Brian Urlacher is listed as probable.
* The Vikings have ruled out Heath Farwell and Keith Newman for the season finale.
* Marcus Johnson remains listed as questionable and likely won't play Sunday.
* Four Vikings -- Corey Chavous, Chris Kluwe, Melvin Fowler and Jermaine Wiggins -- are all listed as probable and are expected to play Sunday.
* Koren Robinson was named the recipient of the Korey Stringer Good Guy Award, given out annually by the local media for the player who is cooperative with the media in good times and bad.
Williams Leaves Team After Father Dies
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings will look at ‘all options’ to improveComing off a loss that Mike Zimmer termed “embarrassing,” a 21-10 defeat against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Minnesota Vikings will look at all options to rectify the situation.
Viking Update2:42 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer: 'This is a gut-check day'Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer recapped the first loss of the season by pointing out "several dumb things" he found to be uncharacteristic of his team.
Viking Update1:06 PM
Counting snaps: Vikings vs. EaglesDespite a “soft” performance on the offensive line, according to coach Mike Zimmer, the Minnesota Vikings seemed interested in getting a rotation going there.
Viking Update6:23 AM
Holler: R-E-L-A-XMike Zimmer wasn't kind in his assessment of the Minnesota Vikings Sunday following their humbling 21-10 loss to Philadelphia, but it isn't as though the season is going down the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:11 PM
Pass protection fails Bradford, VikingsThe Minnesota Vikings still haven’t been able to solve their offensive line issues, a theme going back to last year, but Mike Zimmer and the players aren’t denying it. They have to…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:23 PM