GAME NOTES vs. BEARS
1) Paul Edinger tied a team record with his third 50-yard field goal of the season with a 54-yarder against Chicago. He had previously made from 56 against Green Bay and 53 against Tampa Bay. Fuad Reveiz (1992) and Jan Stenerud (1984) were the others to hit three 50-yarders in a season.
2) Jermaine Wiggins became only the second tight end to lead the team in receptions in two consecutive seasons. Steve Jordan (1985-86) was the other. It is also only the fourth time in 45 seasons that a tight end has led the team in receiving.
3) Brad Johnson became the 50th QB in NFL history to win 65 career games that he has started. It ties him with Jack Kemp for 49th place.
4) Johnson set a team record for fewest interceptions thrown in a season and also led the NFL this season with a minimum of 224 attempts (Johnson had 294 attempts and only four interceptions). The previous Vikings low was Rich Gannon with six interceptions in 354 passes (1991) and before that Fran Tarkenton with seven interceptions in 274 passes (1973). On the league level this season, Jacksonville's Byron Leftwich finished with five interceptions in 302 attempts and the New York Jets' Brooks Bollinger had six interceptions in 266 attempts.
5) Johnson also set the team record for lowest interception percentage in a season at 1.4 and became only the second Viking to lead the league in that category – the first was Fran Tarkenton with 2.5 percent in 1973. Gannon's 1.7 percent in 1991 was the second-best in team history. On the league level this season, Denver's Jake Plummer was second at 1.5 percent and Leftwich was third at 1.7 percent.
Record-Seekers vs. Bears
Viking Update Top Stories
Harrison Smith: No reason for changeThe Minnesota Vikings’ perfect season hit a brick wall Sunday at Philadelphia, but safety Harrison Smith said the panic on the outside of Winter Park isn't being shared on the…
Viking Update2:44 PM
Munnerlyn likes Cutler’s risk-taking waysCaptain Munnerlyn likened Jay Cutler to Brett Favre, calling him a “gunslinger,” but Cutler was at his best when he conformed last year.
Viking Update7:32 AM
Did Vikings have bounty system?In a new book released recently, the claim is made that the Minnesota Vikings had a bounty system in place at the same time the Saints were eventually swept up in the Bountygate…
Viking Update7:25 AM
Fusco: O-line problems correctableAs players and coaches watched film of Sunday's loss to Philadelphia, more than a few them got an uneasy feeling. Not because the Eagles dominated them as much as it appeared, but…
Viking Update4:15 AM