Zygi Wilf orchestrated the firing of Mike Tice Sunday. On Monday, it was his chance to answer or deflect criticism.
Wilf reiterated his position that he wanted fans to be confident in the Vikings and said the firing of Tice was due to a view from "the big picture perspective," according to Wilf.
Reading from a prepared statement, Wilf praised Tice for his contribution to the team, but said the team needs a strong hand at the top that can provide consistency -- something rarely seen during Tice's administration.
Wilf refused to speculate about the time process to get a new coach into Minnesota, as well as confirm that he was planning to meet with Eagles personnel director Tom Heckert -- the first step in building a front office of his own design. Monday, Heckert was promoted to general manager of the Eagles, taking him off the list of potential hires as a personnel director for the Vikings.
* Mike Tice addressed the media as well as Wilf, saying his goodbyes to the press without answering any questions.
* Koren Robinson declined to talk to the media Monday, saying he was "a little emotional" about Tice's firing. It was Tice who made the first contact with Robinson when he was in a rehab facility and K-Rob had a loyalty to Tice.
* The Chicago media is promoting the idea that Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera is a candidate for the Vikings head coaching vacancy.
* The current frontrunners on a short list for the next head coach includes Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, former Giants head coach Jim Fassel and Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.
* The Vikings announced that director of football operations Rob Brzezinski signed a three-year contract extension.
* The Packers fired Mike Sherman Monday and they have a short list of frontrunner candidates, including Steve Mariucci, Childress, Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates and Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz.
Wilf Charts New Course
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Norv Turner on offensive successMinnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner talks about the success of Sam Bradford, the return of Taylor Heinicke and the variety of receivers on the team.
Viking Update11:25 AM
Edwards apologizes for ‘poor decision’Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator said his decision to drive above the legal blood-alcohol level was a “poor decision” and a “one-time deal.”
Viking Update10:24 AM
Eagles explain their side of Bradford tradeAny Vikings fan is familiar with the nuts and bolts of the Sam Bradford trade. On Wednesday, Eagles head coach Doug Pederson and quarterback Carson Wentz explained their version of…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:22 PM
Eagles know Bradford, praise his accuracyThe Minnesota Vikings have leaned a little on Sam Bradford for knowledge on the Philadelphia Eagles, but the Eagles also know Bradford well and rave about his accuracy.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:08 PM