Saturday is the start of the final phase of free agency. But, as the Vikings' first developmental camp ends today, several young players currently on the roster are doing their best to make Mike Tice forget about free agency.
There has been discussion that the Vikings will definitely sign a veteran wide receiver and perhaps address linebacker, safety and offensive line depth, but the players partaking in the first of three minicamps -- especially at those positions -- are making a serious bid to make the Vikings' decision process more difficult.
With a full minicamp scheduled for next week, the Vikings may try to make a quick move to get a free agent signed and in camp immediately, but, if anything has been learned from this week's developmental camp, it is that competition will be fierce once training camp opens -- whether anybody else is brought in or not.
* The Vikes cut DE Jeff Hazuga after Thursday's practice. The timing of the release was to give him a chance to catch on with another team, since he had little to no chance of making the Vikings roster.
* Rookie Willie Offord split time at strong safety with Tyrone Carter and no starter has yet be assigned to the position.
* Fernando Smith is in town and will work out for Vikings coaches today.
* Carey Scott, who spent last year at free safety, has been moved back to cornerback since the team signed FS Ronnie Bradford.
* A Hennepin County judge will rule early next week on a motion to dismiss the $100 million lawsuit against the Vikings by the family of Korey Stringer.
Camp (Part I) Ends Today
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Zimmer on final preps for EaglesMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer discusses some key players for Philadelphia, his defense and if Jake Long could play.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:02 PM
Vikings have 3 receivers on injury reportThe Minnesota Vikings could be getting Stefon Diggs back in the lineup, but he is among three receivers on their injury report.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:37 AM
Notebook: Walsh ‘past the bad things?’The Minnesota Vikings are preparing to play “quite possibly the best special teams unit across the board that we've faced so far this year.” Plus, the Vikings are doing much better…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:49 AM
Hard-core stats: Vikings at EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings will look to exploit some of the weaknesses the Eagles have shown lately, including one strength for the Vikings and one weakness. We go deep into where the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:04 AM