Some Sunday news tidbits to chew on and believe or disbelieve as you see fit:
* Brad Childress is a fan of Daunte Culpepper. In the QB intensive 1999 draft that produced five first-round quarterbacks, Childress was impressed with what Culpepper was able to do and him ranked as the No. 2 QB in the draft behind Donovan McNabb.
* Dueling RB rumors are in force: Coming out of the Senior Bowl, the Vikings were said to be hot on the trail of Memphis RB DeAngelo Williams. But, word out of Seattle is that the Vikings are preparing to make a strong push for Shaun Alexander if he makes it into free agency without having re-signed a long-term deal with the Seahawks.
* In the college football world, there are some folks at UCLA that have no love for the Vikings. The Vikes added Eric Bienenmy to their coaching staff, taking him away from the Bruins. Not only was Bienemy the running backs coach at UCLA, he was also their recruiting coordinator -- where his upbeat, positive approach to coaching was key to getting players on the fence to choose the Bruins.
* Duluth is preparing a proposal to be the Vikings training camp host site.
* The defense currently being called the Dungy Defense with the Cover 2 base is going to be incorporated by three more teams this year -- the Vikings, Bills and Lions. Childress has been quoted as saying much of the Bears rapid ascent to the top of the NFC North is credited with the Cover 2 defense they adopted from the system devised by Tony Dungy. It helps younger players acclimate themselves to the system more easily than most other defenses. But, it was also noted that the Vikings will likely be looking for speedier linebackers in free agency and the draft.
* The Vikings raised about $40,000 at yesterday's Arctic Blast event on Lake Mille Lacs.
Viking Update Top Stories
Assessing metrics for Vikings’ receiversThe Minnesota Vikings have some big decisions to make with their receivers not named Stefon Diggs. We look at playing time, metrics and grades from 2016 to help you assess their…
Viking Update6:48 AM
Podcast: Who do you want among free agents?Viking Update publisher Tim Yotter and Star Tribune columnist Jim Souhan break down the Minnesota Vikings’ free-agent decisions and talk about the conference championship weekend.
Viking Update4:18 AM
Peterson discusses non-Vikings optionsAdrian Peterson appeared on ESPN's First Take Thursday and got caught up in a discussion of teams he may be interested in playing for if things don't work out with the Minnesota…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:01 PM
Vikings’ odds to win Super Bowl LIIThe odds are out for Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium a year from now. The Vikings aren't one of the favorites, but they are getting respect from oddsmakers.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:12 AM