The Vikings clearly want to land Steve Hutchinson. Not only have they given him an offer sheet that will make him the highest paid guard in NFL history, they've made it virtually impossible for the Seahawks to match the deal...or pay dearly if they do.
The contract the Vikings signed Hutchinson to has a pair of surprising stipulations. The first is how the money is disbursed. Due to a roster bonus instead of the standard signing bonus, Hutchinson will count an enormous $13 million against the 2006 salary -- a short-term burden the Seahawks may not want to match.
But an even bigger poison pill comes in the form of contract language that says if Hutchinson isn't the highest paid member of his team's offensive line at any time during the remainder of the contract after this year, the entire $49 million is guaranteed. The Vikings can easily afford that offer, since they don't have anyone that would exceed Hutchinson's price tag (the closest would be a new contract for Bryant McKinnie). The Seahawks have left tackle Walter Jones, whose contract exceeds that of Hutchinson's already.
What does that mean? If Seattle matches the offer sheet they will either have to guarantee all seven years, pay Hutchinson even more than the $49 million the Vikes are offering or release Jones. None of those options looks especially rosy, so don't be stunned if the Seahawks begrudgingly let Hutchinson leave -- thanks to the Vikings and a poisonous little pill.
* Talks between the Dolphins and Drew Brees broke off Monday, adding speculation that a deal for Daunte Culpepper could get done soon with Miami. However, Brees and the Dolphins were expected to resume talks today.
* The Bengals signed Bucs safety Dexter Jackson to a four-year, $7.6 million deal Monday. Jackson was set to visit the Vikings. Ravens safety Will Demps is at Winter Park today.
* Packers backup QB Craig Nall visited Winter Park Monday.
* Former Vikings kicker Jose Cortez signed with the Colts Monday.
* It looks that, because of the delay in the start of free agency, Culpepper isn't due his $6 million roster bonus until March 24.
* Guard Toniu Fonoti is close to sealing a deal with the Raiders.
Poison Pill, Anyone?
Viking Update Top Stories
Vikings shut out from compensatory picksWhile four teams were awarded four compensatory picks each in the 2017 NFL Draft and 16 teams got at least one compensatory pick, the Minnesota Vikings weren't among them.
Scout NFL Network12:29 PM
Podcast: Keys to Shurmur, keys for SouhanJim Souhan arrives late, rants on technology and we eventually dive into Pat Shurmur’s strengths and more Minnesota Vikings topics.
Viking Update8:32 AM
Spielman saw progress in Kalil before injuryThe Minnesota Vikings will be looking for a left tackle in free agency, but that might not exclude their own free agent, Matt Kalil.
Viking Update7:15 AM
Outside Linebacker: Replacing GreenwayIt’s been almost two months since the Vikings’ last game and we’re still waiting for the announcement of Chad Greenway’s retirement. Who will replace him? There are candidates.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:44 PM
Spielman: Bradford in prime of his careerWith the benefit of hindsight, Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said he would do the Sam Bradford trade again in a millisecond.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:15 PM