The case of the Vikings vs. Fran Foley took a step forward Monday, when the team filed an official response to Foley's request to have his disputed firing heard by an arbitrator. As a result, the case is likely to have a hearing date set in the next few days.
Earlier this month, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue indicated he wouldn't personally hear the case. At question is whether the Vikings owe Foley his entire salary, which is said to be in the $1 million range for the three-year deal he signed with the Vikings earlier this year.
The Vikings attempted a contract buyout following the draft, but according to sources, offered Foley a fraction of his original salary to get out of the contract.
Once a date for a hearing is set, both sides will be able to present their cases to the arbitrator, which will likely show both the Vikings and Foley in a negative light.
* Head coach Brad Childress has banned rookie hazing rituals for the Vikings' first-year players. Such rituals are common in the NFL and range from mohawk buzz cuts to requiring players to sing their college fight songs in front of the entire team prior to team meals.
* The Vikings claimed linebacker Marcus Lawrence off waivers from the Giants.
* Zygi Wilf is off to Denver to attend the last NFL owners' meetings.
* Childress and KSTP-TV have failed to reach an agreement on a post-game coach's show. For the last several year, KSTP and Mike Tice had a working agreement to air a post-game show on Sunday nights following the local news. If a deal can't be the reached, the station is likely to look to a player to have a Sunday night program.
* The gang at FOX Sports don't appear to be big fans of the Vikings' quarterback situation. In a recent column rating the worst QB situations around the league, the Vikings were blasted – rated second-worst in the league ahead of only the Chargers. FOX Sports also drilled the Vikings following the draft in April – rating the Vikings' 31st in terms of their draft picks. The only team worse in FOX's estimation? The Redskins, who had very few picks in the draft and were a draft weekend non-factor.
Foley Case Moves Forward
Viking Update Top Stories
Outside Linebacker: Replacing GreenwayIt’s been almost two months since the Vikings’ last game and we’re still waiting for the announcement of Chad Greenway’s retirement. Who will replace him? There are candidates.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:44 PM
Spielman: Bradford in prime of his careerWith the benefit of hindsight, Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said he would do the Sam Bradford trade again in a millisecond.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:15 PM
Spielman: Peterson ‘will always be a Viking’While it appears the Minnesota Vikings have made a decision on Adrian Peterson’s future – or lack of it – with the team, they aren’t ready to announce it.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:46 PM
Bridgewater not doing QB activities yetWhile the Minnesota Vikings don’t have any timeline on Teddy Bridgewater’s return to football, he continues to rehab.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:09 PM