The lookout for potential talent never stops in the NFL. So it was with Thursday's signing of defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej.
Kolodziej isn't a stranger to Vikings head coach Brad Childress, who was at the University of Wisconsin when Koldziej played for the Badgers. He's a fifth-year pro who spent his first two seasons with the Giants, 2003 with the 49ers and the last two seasons with the Cardinals - where he started 14 games last year. He finished the 2005 season with 39 tackles and three sacks.
His role with the Vikings will clearly be as a backup to Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, but his veteran leadership is his calling card and the Vikings believe he will have a good shot of making the final 53-man roster.
* The Vikings have reiterated that in the interim between now and the next state legislative session, they will not seek offers from other cities or counties in the Twin Cities metro area for a new stadium deal. Zygi Wilf remains committed to the idea of working out a billion-dollar private investment plan with Anoka County and that will be the only suitor the team plans to listen to.
* According to FOX Sports, the Vikings' best offensive hope is from an
unlikely source - quarterback. Despite having little in experience behind Brad Johnson, FOX rated the Vikings' team quarterbacks as sixth in the league, which is much better than the rankings given their running backs (26th), wide receivers (17th) and tight ends (15th).
* The national media has been having a field day with Rick Spielman being hired by the Vikings. In one national column, a writer pointed out that Spielman was responsible for giving the Eagles a second-round pick for A.J. Feeley. In addition, he messed up contract talks with DE Adawale Ogunleye that resulted in his being traded for pedestrian wide receiver Marty Booker, giving up a Day One draft pick for RB Lamar Gordon and trading with the Vikings to move up one spot to take guard Vernon Carey. The Vikings used the extra pick to take Mewelde Moore.
* Childress and Herm Edwards are the only two new coaches in the NFL taking over teams that had winning records in 2005.
* The Rams signed former Vikings defensive tackle Jason Fisk to a one-year contract.
Familiarity Rules Again
Viking Update Top Stories
Show me the (Super Bowl) money!There is considerable debate as to the extent of the economic impact a Super Bowl has on a city, but much of the money the State of Minnesota invested in U.S. Bank Stadium will re…
Viking Update5:10 AM
Teammates call it strange if A.P. isn’t backTeammates of Adrian Peterson acknowledge it is a possibility that he won’t return to the Minnesota Vikings in 2017, but they say it would be strange without him and talk about his…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:17 AM
Report: Vikings to hire RBs coachThe Minnesota Vikings have reportedly hired a running backs coach and it may be working toward filling their quarterbacks-coach position.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:19 AM
(Not so) happy anniversaryTuesday is a day that any longtime Vikings fan will remember with a heavy heart. In its own way, it was tantamount to a death in the family - a grim reminder that not all…
Viking UpdateSunday at 10:37 PM
Zimmer: No timeline on Teddy yetMike Zimmer still doesn’t have much of a timeline on Teddy Bridgewater’s return to the Minnesota Vikings.
Viking UpdateSunday at 11:23 AM