The lookout for potential talent never stops in the NFL. So it was with Thursday's signing of defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej.
Kolodziej isn't a stranger to Vikings head coach Brad Childress, who was at the University of Wisconsin when Koldziej played for the Badgers. He's a fifth-year pro who spent his first two seasons with the Giants, 2003 with the 49ers and the last two seasons with the Cardinals - where he started 14 games last year. He finished the 2005 season with 39 tackles and three sacks.
His role with the Vikings will clearly be as a backup to Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, but his veteran leadership is his calling card and the Vikings believe he will have a good shot of making the final 53-man roster.
* The Vikings have reiterated that in the interim between now and the next state legislative session, they will not seek offers from other cities or counties in the Twin Cities metro area for a new stadium deal. Zygi Wilf remains committed to the idea of working out a billion-dollar private investment plan with Anoka County and that will be the only suitor the team plans to listen to.
* According to FOX Sports, the Vikings' best offensive hope is from an
unlikely source - quarterback. Despite having little in experience behind Brad Johnson, FOX rated the Vikings' team quarterbacks as sixth in the league, which is much better than the rankings given their running backs (26th), wide receivers (17th) and tight ends (15th).
* The national media has been having a field day with Rick Spielman being hired by the Vikings. In one national column, a writer pointed out that Spielman was responsible for giving the Eagles a second-round pick for A.J. Feeley. In addition, he messed up contract talks with DE Adawale Ogunleye that resulted in his being traded for pedestrian wide receiver Marty Booker, giving up a Day One draft pick for RB Lamar Gordon and trading with the Vikings to move up one spot to take guard Vernon Carey. The Vikings used the extra pick to take Mewelde Moore.
* Childress and Herm Edwards are the only two new coaches in the NFL taking over teams that had winning records in 2005.
* The Rams signed former Vikings defensive tackle Jason Fisk to a one-year contract.
Familiarity Rules Again
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Best fits for Adrian PetersonThe NFL Network crew discusses some less-talked-about fits for Adrian Peterson if he is not with the Minnesota Vikings, but there could be an issue with him fitting in with a much…
Viking Update1:25 PM
Sunday slant: WR holds free-agent intrigueThe Minnesota Vikings have more pressing positions to solve in free agency than wide receiver, but there are interesting and altering decisions ahead at the position.
Viking Update6:30 AM
Why should fans expect Peterson to stay?Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson sent out a cryptic tweet about the New York Giants’ recent roster moves, but those who would be surprised if he ends up somewhere else don't…
Viking Update5:14 AM
Podcast: A.P.’s best landing spots and moreAdrian Peterson seems to be sending out indications of where he would like to play, but what teams are the best fits? Plus, roster moves, their meaning and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:26 AM