The lookout for potential talent never stops in the NFL. So it was with Thursday's signing of defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej.
Kolodziej isn't a stranger to Vikings head coach Brad Childress, who was at the University of Wisconsin when Koldziej played for the Badgers. He's a fifth-year pro who spent his first two seasons with the Giants, 2003 with the 49ers and the last two seasons with the Cardinals - where he started 14 games last year. He finished the 2005 season with 39 tackles and three sacks.
His role with the Vikings will clearly be as a backup to Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, but his veteran leadership is his calling card and the Vikings believe he will have a good shot of making the final 53-man roster.
* The Vikings have reiterated that in the interim between now and the next state legislative session, they will not seek offers from other cities or counties in the Twin Cities metro area for a new stadium deal. Zygi Wilf remains committed to the idea of working out a billion-dollar private investment plan with Anoka County and that will be the only suitor the team plans to listen to.
* According to FOX Sports, the Vikings' best offensive hope is from an
unlikely source - quarterback. Despite having little in experience behind Brad Johnson, FOX rated the Vikings' team quarterbacks as sixth in the league, which is much better than the rankings given their running backs (26th), wide receivers (17th) and tight ends (15th).
* The national media has been having a field day with Rick Spielman being hired by the Vikings. In one national column, a writer pointed out that Spielman was responsible for giving the Eagles a second-round pick for A.J. Feeley. In addition, he messed up contract talks with DE Adawale Ogunleye that resulted in his being traded for pedestrian wide receiver Marty Booker, giving up a Day One draft pick for RB Lamar Gordon and trading with the Vikings to move up one spot to take guard Vernon Carey. The Vikings used the extra pick to take Mewelde Moore.
* Childress and Herm Edwards are the only two new coaches in the NFL taking over teams that had winning records in 2005.
* The Rams signed former Vikings defensive tackle Jason Fisk to a one-year contract.
Familiarity Rules Again
Viking Update Top Stories
Spielman: ‘Plans in place’ with contractsThe Minnesota Vikings have several important decisions ahead of them at the quarterback position, but one has apparently already been made.
Viking Update8:25 AM
Podcast: AP’s new home, reacting to SpielmanWith the draft closing in, we react to Adrian Peterson’s new home, Rick Spielman’s press conference, character issues and more.
Viking Update7:23 AM
Mock draft, Round 2, Version 3In some cases, needs remained unfilled after Round 1 of our mock draft, but Round 2 is where to make up for that. While that’s often the case, we have the Minnesota Vikings going…
Viking Update6:28 AM
Viking Update Mock Draft, Version 6With diluted drug tests and final evaluations altering the stock and risks with some players, we reshuffle the deck and offer Version 6 of our first-round mock draft.
Viking Update6:21 AM