Call it coincidence. Call it discipline. Call it a new coach making a point. But the Vikings and the Jets have seen a very similar action play itself out with a veteran.
Nose tackle Pat Williams returned to practice Monday for the Vikings after spending a week on the physically unable to perform list following his showing up to training camp heavier than required by new coach Brad Childress. While his teammates practiced on the Minnesota State-Mankato fields, Williams practiced alone on an adjoining field with team staff doing indivdual workouts.
Halfway across the country, a similar disciplinary action was taking place with the Jets. New coach Eric Mangini didn't take well to wide receiver Justin McCareins failing a conditioning run and placed him on the P.U.P. list for a week. In both instances, neither player was injured, but didn't pass the conditions set by the new coach.
It would appear that the P.U.P. has become something that coaches are using not only to help players rehab but as a tool to send a message to the rest of the team that if you don't follow the team rules, you will be singled out.
While everything appears to be fine with Williams and the Vikings, the same may not be true with McCareins, who has seemingly found himself in Mangini's doghouse. But, both new coaches have sent a message to their respective teams -- nobody is too big for the team concept, even starters with a solid track record.
Childress didn't address the issue Monday other than to have a team statement saying that Williams had rejoined his teammates at practice.
* Tank Williams is scheduled to have surgery today on his fractured kneecap with famed surgeon Dr. James Andrews. The Vikings placed him on injured reserve Monday.
* Replacing Williams on the roster is defensive back Ahmad Treaudo, who was signed Monday. He spent last season with the Falcons.
* Former Viking Michael Bennett is expected to miss all week of practice with a sore hamstring.
* Chad Greenway and Chester Taylor returned to practice Monday after being sidelined with a concussion and a thigh strain, respectively.
* The Dolphins expect Daunte Culpepper to see limited game action Saturday when they open the preseason vs. the Jaguars.
New Coach Theory?
Viking Update Top Stories
Holler: You think you've got pain?When it comes to painful sports losses, there's something about 'Sconny and nobody has lived out that nightmare more than the Packers. What kind of pain would you rather have?
Viking Update8:08 AM
Peterson responds to report on asking priceAdrian Peterson responded to a report about his asking price in free agency, but it’s still not clear what his asking price really is.
Viking Update7:11 AM
Vikings release 2014 3rd-round pick CrichtonAfter a lackluster three years with the Minnesota Vikings, Scott Crichton is out on the open market.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:10 AM
Vikings interview subject has size, potentialThe Minnesota Vikings interviewed a versatile offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine that knows he needs to work on his technique but is confident in his abilities.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:07 AM