When you hear the term "broken bone in his left hand," most fans are concerned. When the player in question is borderline Pro Bowler Bryant McKinnie, panic replaces concern.
However, the announcement that McKinnie has a partial fracture in his left hand should be followed up with the inclusion that it is an injury he is willing and able to play through.
The Vikings don't expect McKinnie to miss any significant practice time or playing time with the injury and he should be on the field for Monday's preseason opener with the Raiders.
* Brad Johnson is likely to get a new deal worked out to be paid in accordance with being a starter. Right now, Johnson is the lowest-paid veteran starter in the league.
* There has been some national speculation that the Vikings might have an interest in Kerry Collins, who remains available, but the team hasn't shown any public interest in the veteran QB as a backup.
* Kenechi Udeze has dropped 25 pounds since last year's training camp.
* Monday's game with Oakland will be the first Monday night telecast on ESPN, which won the rights to broadcast Monday Night Football last year.
* Monday's game will also mark the return to the Metrodome of Randy Moss.
* There are still tickets available not only for Monday's game, but for all 10 homes games. The Vikings are in danger of having games blacked out. They have sold out every game since 1998 -- the first game Moss played as a member of the Vikings.
* Brad Childress canceled the afternoon practice Wednesday.
McKinnie Breaks Bone In Hand
Viking Update Top Stories
Preview: Vikings facing aggressive EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings’ continued success on Sunday will be predicated on their ability to handle and exploit the aggressiveness of the Philadelphia Eagles.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:26 PM
Key matchup: Former teammates face offOnly time will tell who got the better of the Sam Bradford trade to the Minnesota Vikings, but he and Carson Wentz will face each other Sunday after the trade that surprised them…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:06 AM
Vikings podcast: Spielman, Bradford and moreThe Minnesota Vikings are showing the fruits of some solid roster building and coaching. Their record, their stats and their depth prove it, as a talk with Rick Spielman showed.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:17 AM
Vikings rush offense needs to improveThe Minnesota Vikings are the lone unbeaten team in the NFL, yet they are failing at one of the typical telltale signs of a winning team - being able to control the clock with a…
Viking UpdateFriday at 8:23 PM
Vikings turned 2010 postponement into partyThe 2010 Minnesota Vikings suffered through a decade's worth of twists and turns - almost all of them bad. The one exception? A really long weekend in Philadelphia, where it isn't…
Viking UpdateFriday at 4:55 PM