GAME NOTES vs. CAROLINA
1) Ryan Longwell became the first Vikings kicker to throw a touchdown pass. He is only the second Viking to throw a touchdown off a fake field goal, joining Paul Krause, who went to Stu Voigt for a touchdown in 1977.
2) Brad Childress became the first Vikings head coach to win his first two NFL games. Norm Van Brocklin, Dennis Green and Jerry Burns were all 1-1 to start their careers, while Bud Grant, Les Steckel and Mike Tice started 0-2.
3) Matt Birk played in his 100th career game. He became one of six centers in team history to reach the century mark, joining Mick Tingelhoff (240), Mike Morris (144), Dennis Swilley (139), Kirk Lowdermilk (114) and Jeff Christy (101).
4) Brad Johnson moved into a 45th-place tie with two Hall of Fame quarterbacks with 66 career wins, joining Joe Namath and Norm Van Brocklin. Johnson's next win would tie him with Billy Kilmer, Chris Chandler and Jim McMahon.
5) Troy Williamson's 177 combined net yards against Carolina gave him a two-game total of 352, which is a team record at this point in a season, surpassing Robert Smith's 299 in the first two games of 1998.
6) Williamson had his first 100-yard game receiving. His previous best was 83 against New Orleans on Sept. 25, 2005. He had 102 yards receiving against Carolina.
7) Chester Taylor had his first 100-yard game as a Viking.
8) The Vikings are 17-15-2 in 34 overtime games. The last overtime home win was a 23-17 victory over the Houston Oilers on Oct. 8, 1995.
Record-Seekers vs. Carolina
Viking Update Top Stories
First half is doom and gloom for JaguarsThe Jacksonville Jaguars are too good to be 2-10, but, despite a talented roster, early struggles have been their undoing all season.
Viking Update8:38 AM
Preview: Jags loaded with talent, turnoversThe Jacksonville Jaguars should be better than their record indicates, but turnovers have been the Jaguars’ undoing.
Viking Update7:59 AM
Podcast: The odds on A.P., playoffsWill Adrian Peterson make it back and should he, and what are the odds the Minnesota Vikings make the playoffs?
Viking Update7:01 AM
Forbath hoping to find permanent homeVikings kicker Kai Forbath arrived in Minnesota under bad circumstances. He's looking to quit moving from town to town and make Minnesota his permanent home.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:19 PM
Zimmer will travel, coach; location uncertainMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer will travel with his team on Saturday but says doctor’s orders are that he shouldn’t get hit.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:02 PM