GAME NOTES vs. CAROLINA
1) Ryan Longwell became the first Vikings kicker to throw a touchdown pass. He is only the second Viking to throw a touchdown off a fake field goal, joining Paul Krause, who went to Stu Voigt for a touchdown in 1977.
2) Brad Childress became the first Vikings head coach to win his first two NFL games. Norm Van Brocklin, Dennis Green and Jerry Burns were all 1-1 to start their careers, while Bud Grant, Les Steckel and Mike Tice started 0-2.
3) Matt Birk played in his 100th career game. He became one of six centers in team history to reach the century mark, joining Mick Tingelhoff (240), Mike Morris (144), Dennis Swilley (139), Kirk Lowdermilk (114) and Jeff Christy (101).
4) Brad Johnson moved into a 45th-place tie with two Hall of Fame quarterbacks with 66 career wins, joining Joe Namath and Norm Van Brocklin. Johnson's next win would tie him with Billy Kilmer, Chris Chandler and Jim McMahon.
5) Troy Williamson's 177 combined net yards against Carolina gave him a two-game total of 352, which is a team record at this point in a season, surpassing Robert Smith's 299 in the first two games of 1998.
6) Williamson had his first 100-yard game receiving. His previous best was 83 against New Orleans on Sept. 25, 2005. He had 102 yards receiving against Carolina.
7) Chester Taylor had his first 100-yard game as a Viking.
8) The Vikings are 17-15-2 in 34 overtime games. The last overtime home win was a 23-17 victory over the Houston Oilers on Oct. 8, 1995.
Record-Seekers vs. Carolina
Viking Update Top Stories
Podcast: Roadblocks for A.P. and moreAdrian Peterson has several stumbling blocks in front of him in finding a new team, the Latavius Murray surgery and more.
Viking Update9:18 AM
Zim: Trainer maybe saved Teddy’s career, legMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told reporters on Wednesday that team trainer Eric Sugarman may have saved Teddy Bridgewater’s career and leg.
Viking Update8:20 AM
Wilf talks Marshall, PetersonMark Wilf discussed a pair of former Minnesota Vikings, Jim Marshall and Adrian Peterson, hoping for the Hall of Fame at some point.
Viking Update4:35 AM
Looks like Bridgewater is throwing againTeddy Bridgewater gave the appearance he is throwing on land again, but Mike Zimmer's words on Monday painted a different picture.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 3:16 PM
Vikings interest in versatile TE makes senseThe Minnesota Vikings made a strong push for Jared Cook in free agency, but they could be turning their attention to the draft to find another complement to Kyle Rudolph.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:04 AM