When you have a hand in every point your team scores in an overtime win, it's only natural that you should be honored for your performance. That's exactly what happened to Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell.
Longwell, who kicked three field goals, including the game-winner, and threw the only touchdown the Vikings scored in their 16-13 win over the Panthers Sunday, was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week by the NFL Tuesday.
Longwell did it all Sunday, with his only miscue being a blocked field goal by Julius Peppers on a 51-yard attempt.
Longwell is no stranger to the award. This marks the sixth time in his career he's won the Special Teams P.O.W. and his first as a member of the Vikings.
* The Viking officially placed Erasmus James on injured reserve Tuesday, ending his 2006 season. In his place, the team called up defensive end Jayme Mitchell from the practice squad.
* The Vikings filled their vacancy on the practice squad by signing guard C.J. Brooks.
* Vikings RB Chester Taylor leads the NFL in rushing attempts (55) and combined rushing/receiving attempts (61).
* The Vikings considered signing veteran wide receiver Quincy Morgan to serve as their kickoff return guy, but the Broncos beat the Vikings to the punch and signed him Monday.
* The Vikings have committed 18 penalties in their first two games -- nine in each game. Only three teams have more penalties than the Vikings through two games.
* The Panthers are reeling and looking for help at linebacker after starting the season 0-2. Among the half dozen LBs being worked out by the Panthers Tuesday were a couple of former Vikings -- Sam Cowart and Rod Davis.
* Former Vikings defensive back Dustin Fox was promoted from the Eagles practice squad to the 53-man roster. Fox takes the place of DE Jevon Kearse, who was placed on injured reserve Tuesday.
Longwell Named Player of the Week
Viking Update Top Stories
Is draft key to 2017 rebound?The Minnesota Vikings have plugged some holes in free agency, but will the draft be the focus of restocking the shelves? If so, what shelf gets stocked first?
Viking Update5:12 AM
Newly signed Murray has surgeryLatavius Murray, the Minnesota Vikings’ replacement for Adrian Peterson had surgery, the team announced Wednesday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:03 PM
Podcast: Free agents, Zimmer’s words and moreWe analyze what the Minnesota Vikings have done, and not done, in free agency, talk team chemistry and more.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:03 AM
Zimmer talks state of the VikingsMike Zimmer made an appearance on KFAN Tuesday and got hit with questions from all sides about the state of his Minnesota Vikings.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:59 AM