Ever since sustaining a foot injury last month, Shaun Alexander and the Seahawks had targeted his return for Sunday's game with the Vikings. That changed Monday, as coach Mike Holmgren announced that Alexander will miss this week's game as well as next week's game.
"I met with him (Monday), and he's feeling great, and is really chomping at the bit to come back," Holmgen said. "He thinks he could practice. That's with Shaun. Now meeting with the doctors and trainers, they took some more pictures. It is healing up, it's right on schedule, but we're going to be safe about it. It will probably be a week to week thing. It's unlikely he'll be ready to go. In fact, he probably won't be ready to go this week."
The injury continues the Vikings run of good fortune with non-division NFC opponents and their top offensive weapons. In the opener vs. the Redskins, Clinton Portis was reduced to part-time duty and the Vikings won. The same was true the following week vs. the Panthers when Steve Smith was sidelined. In their last game, Lions WR Roy Williams was knocked out in the first series of the game.
What do those games have in common? The Vikings won them all. Here's hoping that streak continues.
"Even though some players are known as fast healers on different type of injuries, this the bone really has to knit, and the crack has to knit," Holmgren said. "In Shaun's case because he's a running back, and because we can't afford to have him re-injure that if we can avoid it, we're going to air on the side of caution I'm sure."
* Bethel Johnson is going to get a shot at returning kicks this week. Johnson, who was signed during the bye week, has a history of being an explosive return man.
* The Bethel Johnson signing could create a jersey controversy. Brad Johnson's jersey has said "B. Johnson" but now with two names that start with B and end with Johnson, he may wind up with his full name on the back of his jersey.
* Koren Robinson will be back in Minnesota today for his preliminary hearing on drunk driving charges.
* Tarvaris Jackson returns to practice Wednesday in full force for the first time since suffering his knee injury last month.
* The Vikings re-signed WR Maurice Mann to the practice squad.
Alexander Out For Sunday
Viking Update Top Stories
Trader Rick in his elementWhy is this man smiling? For him, draft weekend is like a three-day Christmas with presents to open.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:31 PM
VIKINGS DRAFT BOARDThe picks, reaction from players and Minnesota Vikings, analysis, videos and more building throughout the draft.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:04 PM
Elflein helps build an offensive foundationRookie guard/center Pat Elflein brings leadership and physicality to the Vikings offensive line.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 9:33 PM
Spielman trusts in CookMinnesota Vikings GM Rick Spielman had legitimate concerns about rookie running back Dalvin Cook, but, once he got those concerns settled, he jumped at the chance to bring him to…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:17 PM
VIDEO: Spielman on Cook's skillsMinnesota Vikings GM Rick Spielman discusses Dalvin Cook's strengths and weaknesses on the football field.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:11 PM