Ever since sustaining a foot injury last month, Shaun Alexander and the Seahawks had targeted his return for Sunday's game with the Vikings. That changed Monday, as coach Mike Holmgren announced that Alexander will miss this week's game as well as next week's game.
"I met with him (Monday), and he's feeling great, and is really chomping at the bit to come back," Holmgen said. "He thinks he could practice. That's with Shaun. Now meeting with the doctors and trainers, they took some more pictures. It is healing up, it's right on schedule, but we're going to be safe about it. It will probably be a week to week thing. It's unlikely he'll be ready to go. In fact, he probably won't be ready to go this week."
The injury continues the Vikings run of good fortune with non-division NFC opponents and their top offensive weapons. In the opener vs. the Redskins, Clinton Portis was reduced to part-time duty and the Vikings won. The same was true the following week vs. the Panthers when Steve Smith was sidelined. In their last game, Lions WR Roy Williams was knocked out in the first series of the game.
What do those games have in common? The Vikings won them all. Here's hoping that streak continues.
"Even though some players are known as fast healers on different type of injuries, this the bone really has to knit, and the crack has to knit," Holmgren said. "In Shaun's case because he's a running back, and because we can't afford to have him re-injure that if we can avoid it, we're going to air on the side of caution I'm sure."
* Bethel Johnson is going to get a shot at returning kicks this week. Johnson, who was signed during the bye week, has a history of being an explosive return man.
* The Bethel Johnson signing could create a jersey controversy. Brad Johnson's jersey has said "B. Johnson" but now with two names that start with B and end with Johnson, he may wind up with his full name on the back of his jersey.
* Koren Robinson will be back in Minnesota today for his preliminary hearing on drunk driving charges.
* Tarvaris Jackson returns to practice Wednesday in full force for the first time since suffering his knee injury last month.
* The Vikings re-signed WR Maurice Mann to the practice squad.
Alexander Out For Sunday
Viking Update Top Stories
Doleman meets the PopeFormer Minnesota Vikings defensive end Chris Doleman was one of seven Pro Football Hall of Famers to meet the Pope.
Viking Update5:24 AM
League shows Zim respectNFL.com released its annual preseason head coach power rankings and, while ranking the team as a middle-of-the-road squad, Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer was named a top-10 coach.
Viking Update5:01 AM
Elflein adjusting to increased dutiesThird-round rookie Pat Elflein is finding the duties at center require more than they did in college, but he’s getting there and ready to compete for a starting job.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:23 AM
Moss reminisces about the moon over Green BayRandy Moss discussed the incidents that led up to his infamous end zone fake-mooning of Packers fans.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:42 AM
VIDEO: Two minutes of Teddy in OTAs, minicampWatch Teddy Bridgewater go through rehab drills and make all kinds of throws as he progressed through Minnesota Vikings organized team activities and minicamp.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:15 AM