There was little positive to take away from Monday's 31-7 thrashing at the hands of the Patriots. But, with all of the bad things that happened, the worst may be the potential that at least two starters could be sidelined for Sunday's game with the 49ers.
At his Tuesday press conference, coach Brad Childress announced that Napoleon Harris suffered a dislocation of his wrist and Kevin Williams suffered a high ankle sprain.
Harris, who is wearing a cast, might be sidelined simply because the cast will make it more difficult to wrap up tackles. If he can't go, the team will likely turn to Dontarrious Thomas or slide Ben Leber to the inside.
As for Williams, he suffered a high ankle sprain early in the game and, while he returned to action later in the game, his limp was very noticeable late in the game. If he can't go, the team will likely turn to Spencer Johnson or Ross Kolodziej, who was a healty scratch for Monday's game.
As if those injuries weren't bad enough, defensive tackle Pat Williams experienced swelling in his knee and was limited in his movement Tuesday and Matt Birk hyperextended his knee. Both are question marks, but, barring a setback, are expected to be available Sunday.
* Childress railed on Brad Johnson at his press conference Tuesday and quoted a famous person in describing his pulling of his QB. Was it a philosopher like Plato or Socrates? No. A former coaching great like Vince Lombardi or Bud Grant? No. He quoted cartoon seaman Popeye, saying "I had all I can stands, I can't stands no more." There was no comment concerning whether he would pay someone Tuesday for a hamburger today.
* The Vikings tried out cornerback Derrick Strait Monday, along with undrafted free agent linebackers Jamar Enzor and Renauld Williams.
* The loss hurt the defense big time in the rankings. The Viking run defense fell from No. 1 to No. 2, the overall defense dropped from seventh to 12th and the pass defense dropped from 18th to 26th.
* Troy Williamson had a second bomb that appeared to be perfectly thrown and capable of being taken in for a touchdown hit off his face Monday night. Childress insists that there is no problem with his eyes, but fans may think differently.
* How desperate are the Giants? After losing linebackers LaVar Arrington and Brandon Short to injuries, the team signed former Viking Chris Claiborne.
Williams, Harris May Miss Time
Viking Update Top Stories
Podcast: Keys to Shurmur, keys for SouhanJim Souhan arrives late, rants on technology and we eventually dive into Pat Shurmur’s strengths and more Minnesota Vikings topics.
Viking Update8:32 AM
Spielman saw progress in Kalil before injuryThe Minnesota Vikings will be looking for a left tackle in free agency, but that might not exclude their own free agent, Matt Kalil.
Viking Update7:15 AM
Outside Linebacker: Replacing GreenwayIt’s been almost two months since the Vikings’ last game and we’re still waiting for the announcement of Chad Greenway’s retirement. Who will replace him? There are candidates.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 10:44 PM
Spielman: Bradford in prime of his careerWith the benefit of hindsight, Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said he would do the Sam Bradford trade again in a millisecond.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:15 PM
Spielman: Peterson ‘will always be a Viking’While it appears the Minnesota Vikings have made a decision on Adrian Peterson’s future – or lack of it – with the team, they aren’t ready to announce it.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:46 PM