The Minnesota Vikings broke training camp following a light, two-hour practice Wednesday morning at Minnesota State University. The team practiced in shorts, with the offense and defense practicing together most of the session.
Coach Mike Tice said he was pleased with the camp, which began July 27.
"I thought we had one bad practice ..." Tice said. "Other than that, the guys accepted the work load we had for them, and I thought they were focused and improved every day."
Tice was particularly pleased with the improvement of the defense, especially over the final three practices.
"I look forward to seeing what they can do in Buffalo," Tice said, referring to the Vikings' second preseason game against the Bills Friday night.
One player who didn't make it through camp was quarterback Spergon Wynn. Wynn, who started the Vikings' final two games of last season, was cut Wednesday morning and did not participate in the team's final session. Tice said rookie Shaun Hill is the team's No. 3 quarterback now, working behind starter Daunte Culpepper and No. 2 man Todd Bouman.
Romaro Miller will get a chance to compete with Hill, Tice said.
Meanwhile, Culpepper impressed Tice throughout the camp, the first-year coach said.
* Late in the session, the Vikings released a statement from owner Red McCombs that said: "We have received numerous calls from the media concerning a possible sale of the Vikings. There is no truth to any of the stories that are circulating. There are no discussions taking place regarding the sale of the team. We are excited about the upcoming season and look forward to playing in Buffalo on Friday."
* Wide receiver Devin Lewis was also cut Wednesday.
* Tice was excited about the prospects of a healthy Derrick Alexander, based on the receiver's play Tuesday and Wednesday. "I was surprised," Tice said. "I knew he was a good player, but I didn't realize he had such soft hands."
* With Michael Bennett and Doug Chapman nursing injuries, James Wofford could possibly start Friday's game, Tice hinted. David Allen and Jeremy Allen will also see extensive playing time against the Bills.
* The Vikings will have a walk-through practice at their Eden Prairie Winter Park facility before leaving for Buffalo.
Vikings Break Camp Minus Two
Viking Update Top Stories
Preview: Vikings facing aggressive EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings’ continued success on Sunday will be predicated on their ability to handle and exploit the aggressiveness of the Philadelphia Eagles.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:26 PM
Key matchup: Former teammates face offOnly time will tell who got the better of the Sam Bradford trade to the Minnesota Vikings, but he and Carson Wentz will face each other Sunday after the trade that surprised them…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:06 AM
Vikings podcast: Spielman, Bradford and moreThe Minnesota Vikings are showing the fruits of some solid roster building and coaching. Their record, their stats and their depth prove it, as a talk with Rick Spielman showed.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:17 AM
Vikings rush offense needs to improveThe Minnesota Vikings are the lone unbeaten team in the NFL, yet they are failing at one of the typical telltale signs of a winning team - being able to control the clock with a…
Viking UpdateFriday at 8:23 PM
Vikings turned 2010 postponement into partyThe 2010 Minnesota Vikings suffered through a decade's worth of twists and turns - almost all of them bad. The one exception? A really long weekend in Philadelphia, where it isn't…
Viking UpdateFriday at 4:55 PM