Pat Williams hasn't missed a game since joining the Vikings. In fact, he hasn't missed a game in five years. That streak is in serious jeopardy after Williams missed Thursday's practice and was downgraded to doubtful for Sunday's game with the Bears.
Despite the listing, which in NFL terms means that Williams has a 25 percent chance of playing, Lovie Smith said Thursday he expects to see Williams on the field Sunday. Vikings coach Brad Childress was unavailable for comment Thursday.
* The unnamed player in the police investigation of an alleged assault turned out to be Fred Smoot. While no charges were filed, police documents claim a 22-year-old woman was at Smoot's house at 4 a.m. and he refused to let her leave. This is just another episode in the Smoot off-field saga that has some believing he won't be back with the team after this year.
* Troy Williamson will not be disciplined by Brad Childress. It has been determined that the off-duty policeman that punched Williamson in the face Sunday night did so without provocation from Williamson himself.
* Former Viking Daunte Culpepper went back under the knife yesterday. He was back in Alabama, where Dr. James Andrews removed a piece of cartilage that was slowing his progress to recover from the triple-ligament knee surgery he had a year ago. It is expected that Culpepper will finally be put on injured reserve.
* Jermaine Wiggins returned to practice Thursday after missing Wednesday's practice with a sprained knee. He is listed as questionable.
* Bears DT Tommie Harris was held out of practice Thursday, but it was viewed more as a precaution than anything else. He is listed as probable and expected to play Sunday.
* Cedric Benson continues to find new ways to put himself in the doghouse with the Bears. On on local sports talk show Thursday, Benson complained about a lack of playing time and respect from the organization. For the money he's being paid, he might consider counting his blessings (and his cash).
* Former Vikings kicker Paul Edinger got a workout with the Raiders Thursday. Starting kicker Sebastian Janikowski is suffering from back pain and Edinger was one of three kickers to work out as potential replacements.
Play or Sit?
Viking Update Top Stories
Cutler returns, praising Vikings defenseBears QB Jay Cutler is returning to action and expects some rust, but he has immense respect for the Minnesota Vikings defense.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:43 PM
VIDEO: Bradford breaks down offensive issuesWhile Sam Bradford has generally had an impressive start to his time with the Minnesota Vikings, that didn't translate last week. He discusses the offensive struggles against the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:33 PM
VIDEO: Zimmer blasts report, talks BearsMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer defends his character after an erroneous report that was later corrected went viral, but Zimmer settled in to talk Bears mostly on Thursday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:39 PM
Vikings look to turn the pageComing off their first loss of the season, the Minnesota Vikings are looking to shake the label of being soft and get back to their winning ways at Soldier Field Monday, a place…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:28 PM
Patterson sits out; Treadwell, Wright returnThe Minnesota Vikings’ rotating injury concerns at wide receiver continued this week.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:52 AM