There was a lot made that Chester Taylor would play through pain to get back to his hometown of Detroit to play the Lions Sunday. But it's starting to look like the injury to his ribs will sour any homecoming plans.
Taylor missed practice Thursday and remains listed as doubtful for Sunday's game. His injury first occurred in the second quarter of the Vikings' loss to the Bears and, despite returning twice after the injury, he finally was sat down in the third quarter after gaining 99 yards rushing.
If Taylor can't go, his role is expected to be filled by a platoon of Ciatrick Fason and Mewelde Moore. Fason would appear to be in line for more of the carries, since Brad Childress seems to like Moore in more of a third-down back role.
If Taylor doesn't practice today, he will likely be deactivated for Sunday's game.
* Brooks Bollinger was unable to practice again Thursday, meaning that Brad Johnson will be the starter Sunday and Tarvaris Jackson will assume the role as No. 2 QB with Bollinger likely assigned to emergency QB duty. At least that's the line of thinking by most media.
* Heading into the fourth quarter of their first meeting this year, the Vikings trailed the Lions 17-3 – only to outscore Detroit 23-0 in the fourth quarter for a 26-17 win.
* The Vikings have decided to use more starters on special teams coverage units after surrendering two touchdowns in the last two games in the return game.
* Erasmus James suffered both a torn ACL and MCL when he went down early this season. He hopes to be ready for training camp as he rehabs his knee.
* For the fifth straight year, Matt Birk was named Vikings Community Man of the Year.
* Remember when the big debate over drafting Troy Williamson was that fans wanted Mike Williams instead? Williams has been a complete bust in Detroit and is currently 20 pounds over the weight the team wanted him at when training camp began. Look for Williams to be cut when the season ends.
Taylor Could Be No-Go
Viking Update Top Stories
Preview: Vikings facing aggressive EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings’ continued success on Sunday will be predicated on their ability to handle and exploit the aggressiveness of the Philadelphia Eagles.
Viking Update7:26 PM
Key matchup: Former teammates face offOnly time will tell who got the better of the Sam Bradford trade to the Minnesota Vikings, but he and Carson Wentz will face each other Sunday after the trade that surprised them…
Viking Update7:06 AM
Vikings podcast: Spielman, Bradford and moreThe Minnesota Vikings are showing the fruits of some solid roster building and coaching. Their record, their stats and their depth prove it, as a talk with Rick Spielman showed.
Viking Update6:17 AM
Vikings rush offense needs to improveThe Minnesota Vikings are the lone unbeaten team in the NFL, yet they are failing at one of the typical telltale signs of a winning team - being able to control the clock with a…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:23 PM