It looks more like Chester Taylor will miss his first game as a Viking. Taylor, who practiced Friday (going through some drills but not wearing full pads), remained listed as doubtful for Sunday's game with the Lions.
When asked if there is any reason to think Taylor can make a recovery to the point of being effective Sunday, coach Brad Childress was succinct and to the point.
"It's his body," Childress said. "There's feedback that you have to have. He knows what the battle is like and he is probably able to quantify that better than I would. He knows what is at stake if he puts his hand up and says, ‘I can go' and then taps himself out three plays into it."
If Taylor can't go, it is expected that Ciatrick Fason would vault past Mewelde Moore into the starter's role. Fason gained 75 yards on 11 carries in last Sunday's game with the Bears, but Childress said they would split time as well.
* Childress is still staying silent on the subject of his starting quarterback, but everyone on the planet now seems convinced that Brad Johnson will get the start.
* Brooks Bollinger was upgraded to questionable Friday, but is expected to be used, if at all, as the No. 3 emergency quarterback Sunday.
* Although both Artis Hicks and Marcus Johnson are improving, it is expected that Jason Whittle and Mike Rosenthal will keep their starting jobs.
* Lions linebacker Teddy Lehman is expected to miss Sunday's game with a hamstring injury.
* Of the seven teams currently battling it out for the NFC wild card, none of them has a record above .500 over the last four games.
* The Vikings have officially been replaced as the NFL's miscreants – a title they earned with the "Love Boat" incident of 2005. Cincinnati's Deltha O'Neal was arrested Friday on drunk driving charges, making him the eighth member of the Bengals to be arrested this year.
Taylor Still Iffy
Viking Update Top Stories
VIDEO: Zimmer on final preps for EaglesMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer discusses some key players for Philadelphia, his defense and if Jake Long could play.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 12:02 PM
Vikings have 3 receivers on injury reportThe Minnesota Vikings could be getting Stefon Diggs back in the lineup, but he is among three receivers on their injury report.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 11:37 AM
Notebook: Walsh ‘past the bad things?’The Minnesota Vikings are preparing to play “quite possibly the best special teams unit across the board that we've faced so far this year.” Plus, the Vikings are doing much better…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:49 AM
Hard-core stats: Vikings at EaglesThe Minnesota Vikings will look to exploit some of the weaknesses the Eagles have shown lately, including one strength for the Vikings and one weakness. We go deep into where the…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:04 AM