According to multiple reports, Rick Spielman is putting the band back together with long-time friend and business associate George Paton – not the dead general of a similar spelling, but the Dolphins director of pro personnel since 2001.
Paton and Spielman have a history together. Paton began his administrative career with the Bears in 1997, while Spielman was director of pro personnel. When Spielman got the V.P. of player personnel job with the Dolphins in 2000, Paton followed him there a year later.
Neither the Vikings nor the Bears have confirmed that Paton will be hired and it is expected that he will be directly under Spielman on the organizational tree – overseeing the college and pro scouting departments.
* Wide receiver Maurice Mann, who missed most of last weekend's minicamp due to hamstring soreness, was cut Wednesday.
* Randy Moss was the center of attention at Patriots minicamp Wednesday, where teammates lined up to give glowing testimonials about his hard work since joining the team, including team leaders Tom Brady and Tedy Bruschi.
* There has been speculation that the Patriots, Rams, Lions and Jaguars might be interested in trading for Daunte Culpepper or signing him if he's released by the Dolphins.
* It will be almost impossible to trade Culpepper unless he tears up his current contract. He is set to make a base salary of $5.5 million this year, $6 million in 2008-09, $7 million in 2010, $8 million in 2011, $9 million in 2012 and $10 million in 2013 – a lot of cake for a player that some are convinced will never be the same QB he was pre-injury.
* Pat Williams sat out yesterday's OTA practice and is expected to sit out today as well to give his knees a rest.
* Weather again forced the Vikings' morning practice session inside, which has become a regular occurrence since minicamp last weekend.
* Former Viking Mike McMahon still tries to look the part of a NFL quarterback, driving a Cadillac Escalade. But, there are two problems with that. One, he isn't a NFL QB. Two, he got his Escalade stolen Tuesday.
Reunited (And It Feels So Good)
Viking Update Top Stories
Shurmur has his focal point for offenseMinnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur his “focal point” for where the offense needs to improve in 2017.
Viking Update2:38 PM
Shurmur sees critical offseason for TreadwellMinnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur believes 2017 will be a “very critical” offseason for seldom-used receiver Laquon Treadwell.
Viking Update9:29 AM
Centers and tight ends: Any Minny interest?The Minnesota Vikings may not have immediate needs at center or tight end, but free agency could get them thinking outside the organization for help.
Viking Update4:25 AM
Combine Research: Tight Ends (Part 1)Whose leg injury was so severe that amputation was considered? Who enjoys jokes about his name? And who wasn't allowed to take a white girl to prom? Those answers and more as we…
Packer ReportYesterday at 6:04 PM
VIDEO: Best fits for Adrian PetersonThe NFL Network crew discusses some less-talked-about fits for Adrian Peterson if he is not with the Minnesota Vikings, but there could be an issue with him fitting in with a much…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 1:25 PM