According to multiple reports, Rick Spielman is putting the band back together with long-time friend and business associate George Paton – not the dead general of a similar spelling, but the Dolphins director of pro personnel since 2001.
Paton and Spielman have a history together. Paton began his administrative career with the Bears in 1997, while Spielman was director of pro personnel. When Spielman got the V.P. of player personnel job with the Dolphins in 2000, Paton followed him there a year later.
Neither the Vikings nor the Bears have confirmed that Paton will be hired and it is expected that he will be directly under Spielman on the organizational tree – overseeing the college and pro scouting departments.
* Wide receiver Maurice Mann, who missed most of last weekend's minicamp due to hamstring soreness, was cut Wednesday.
* Randy Moss was the center of attention at Patriots minicamp Wednesday, where teammates lined up to give glowing testimonials about his hard work since joining the team, including team leaders Tom Brady and Tedy Bruschi.
* There has been speculation that the Patriots, Rams, Lions and Jaguars might be interested in trading for Daunte Culpepper or signing him if he's released by the Dolphins.
* It will be almost impossible to trade Culpepper unless he tears up his current contract. He is set to make a base salary of $5.5 million this year, $6 million in 2008-09, $7 million in 2010, $8 million in 2011, $9 million in 2012 and $10 million in 2013 – a lot of cake for a player that some are convinced will never be the same QB he was pre-injury.
* Pat Williams sat out yesterday's OTA practice and is expected to sit out today as well to give his knees a rest.
* Weather again forced the Vikings' morning practice session inside, which has become a regular occurrence since minicamp last weekend.
* Former Viking Mike McMahon still tries to look the part of a NFL quarterback, driving a Cadillac Escalade. But, there are two problems with that. One, he isn't a NFL QB. Two, he got his Escalade stolen Tuesday.
Reunited (And It Feels So Good)
Viking Update Top Stories
Bradford sees benefits to full offseasonThe Minnesota Vikings are starting organized team activities this week, giving Sam Bradford a full offseason of practices to execute the offense and learn his personnel.
Viking Update11:35 AM
Eighth eye surgery forces break for ZimmerMinnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer will be taking “a few weeks” off after his latest eye surgery.
Viking Update7:51 AM
Purple pendingThe Minnesota Vikings had some hard decisions to make in this year's free agency. As things currently stand, 2018 may be much more challenging for the organization.
Viking Update4:14 AM
'Closed' sign coming for some vested vetsAre you ready for some football? As of now, a lot of veteran NFL players aren't locked and loaded with an employer.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 5:33 AM