Talks between the Vikings and their top three picks are intensifying and could result in signings being done as early as today.
The first to sign will likely be third-round pick Marcus McCauley, who the team was closing in on a deal with late Monday. Both McCauley and second-rounder Sidney Rice are expected to be signed and in camp by the time the first practices begin on Friday.
The going remains a little slower with first-round pick Adrian Peterson. While negotiations are gaining speed, it wouldn't be surprising if he missed the first couple of days of training camp. But those with knowledge of the negotiations say that it is as much a part of the process of many top picks waiting to see what those around them get and agents not wanting to get short-changed.
With talks progressing on all three fronts, don't expect any protracted holdouts unless talks get contentious and break down over the next two or three days.
* To get some perspective, the No. 7 pick in last year's draft was safety Michael Huff, who signed a five-year deal with the Raiders worth $22.5 million with $15 million in guaranteed money.
* One of the dominoes to getting Peterson signed is expected to fall today, as No. 9 pick Ted Ginn is expected to sign with the Dolphins.
* The Vikings might not have to face Michael Vick after all. Commissioner Roger Goodell came down with an order Monday that would prohibit Vick from attending Falcons training camp, which opens later this week. Protesters have camped out at the Falcons training site asking the team to release Vick.
* It turns out that Kelly Campbell's release earlier this month by the Dolphins had little to do with his ability to make the team. On July 3, he was arrested for marijuana possession, possession of the drug Ecstasy and giving false information to police in Atlanta. It was his second arrest on drug possession in two years and will likely give Commissioner Roger Goodell reason to suspend him if any team signs him.
* Veteran free agent wide receiver Keenan McCardell is still on the market, but the Vikings have shown no outward interest in signing him to go with their young receiver corps.
The Talking Game
Viking Update Top Stories
Reports: Peterson nearing dealFormer Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson could find a home before the NFL draft kicks off Thursday.
Viking Update1:13 PM
Mayock on Vikings’ ‘splash’ decisionWithout a first-round pick, what does NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock expect from the Minnesota Vikings’ second-round pick?
Viking Update12:36 PM
Former Vikings tackle calls it a careerThe Minnesota Vikings didn’t have Jake Long for long last year, but the Vikings will go down as the offensive tackle’s last NFL team.
Viking Update9:54 AM
In-depth NFL draft analysis: SafetiesOne of the best safety classes in some time could see two of them chosen in the top 10 and many more in the first two days. Is it worth a shot for the Minnesota Vikings? We assess…
Viking Update7:29 AM
2017 VIKINGS DRAFT GUIDEInformation on the Minnesota Vikings' 2017 draft, from where they pick to position analysis, links to stories, mock drafts and more.
Viking Update4:35 AM