Talks between the Vikings and their top three picks are intensifying and could result in signings being done as early as today.
The first to sign will likely be third-round pick Marcus McCauley, who the team was closing in on a deal with late Monday. Both McCauley and second-rounder Sidney Rice are expected to be signed and in camp by the time the first practices begin on Friday.
The going remains a little slower with first-round pick Adrian Peterson. While negotiations are gaining speed, it wouldn't be surprising if he missed the first couple of days of training camp. But those with knowledge of the negotiations say that it is as much a part of the process of many top picks waiting to see what those around them get and agents not wanting to get short-changed.
With talks progressing on all three fronts, don't expect any protracted holdouts unless talks get contentious and break down over the next two or three days.
* To get some perspective, the No. 7 pick in last year's draft was safety Michael Huff, who signed a five-year deal with the Raiders worth $22.5 million with $15 million in guaranteed money.
* One of the dominoes to getting Peterson signed is expected to fall today, as No. 9 pick Ted Ginn is expected to sign with the Dolphins.
* The Vikings might not have to face Michael Vick after all. Commissioner Roger Goodell came down with an order Monday that would prohibit Vick from attending Falcons training camp, which opens later this week. Protesters have camped out at the Falcons training site asking the team to release Vick.
* It turns out that Kelly Campbell's release earlier this month by the Dolphins had little to do with his ability to make the team. On July 3, he was arrested for marijuana possession, possession of the drug Ecstasy and giving false information to police in Atlanta. It was his second arrest on drug possession in two years and will likely give Commissioner Roger Goodell reason to suspend him if any team signs him.
* Veteran free agent wide receiver Keenan McCardell is still on the market, but the Vikings have shown no outward interest in signing him to go with their young receiver corps.
The Talking Game
Viking Update Top Stories
Viking Update Mock Draft, Version 2The Minnesota Vikings don’t have a first-round pick, but they will be watching talent come off the board in the first round, including selections by their NFC North rivals.
Viking Update9:52 AM
Vikings decision-makers learning the offenseAs the Minnesota Vikings look to improve their offense, the decision-makers are getting more involved on that side of the ball.
Viking Update4:39 AM
Holler: Peterson's days as a Viking numberedWe will likely find out this week whether Adrian Peterson is a Minnesota Viking or not and the smart money is pointing toward "no."
Viking Update4:16 AM
Cornerbacks: Will Vikings have a need?The necessity for free-agent help at cornerback in a flooded market may have more to do with decisions made internally for the guys they already have.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 7:03 AM
Sunday slant: Spielman has studiesMinnesota Vikings general manager says he has color coding for draft prospects in abundance, but he has plenty of analytical studies that have produced exactly the conclusions you…
Viking UpdateYesterday at 6:38 AM