The Vikings had approximately 2,000 tickets remaining as of Monday afternoon for Sunday's game with the Eagles and, as they had to do with the Falcons in the regular-season opener, it's going to be another wait-and-see to determine whether the Vikings game will be televised locally or subject to a blackout.
The Vikings have a streak of 98 straight sellouts dating back to the start of the 1998 season, but there has been concern for months that the games with teams other than the Packers and Bears would be difficult to sell out.
In Week 1, the Vikings got an extension of the deadline – which is supposed to be 72 hours before kickoff. At the time, KMSP-TV, the local FOX affiliate in the Twin Cities, stepped up and purchased the remaining tickets to prevent a blackout. Unless another extension is granted, the Vikings would have until Thursday afternoon to sell the remaining tickets.
There's no telling how many fans will step forward to buy tickets or if KMSP will come to the rescue again to purchase tickets to prevent the blackout. That likely won't be known until Wednesday or Thursday.
* At his Monday press conference, Brad Childress addressed the lack of activity that Visanthe Shiancoe has seen so far this season. Shiancoe, who was signed to a five-year, $18.2 million deal in the offseason, has just nine receptions. Said Childress: "Visanthe would be the first to tell you that he didn't want to come here to be a drive blocker. That's part of the arrangement. That's part of the deal. I still have a great deal of confidence in him and we are going to try to find ways to get him the ball.'
* The Vikings signed safety Eric Frampton off waivers from the Lions. To make room, they released guard Brian Daniels. Frampton was taken in the fifth round of this year's draft by the Raiders but was released with the last batch of cuts. He was claimed prior to the start of the regular season by the Lions and played the first five games of the season on special teams before being released.
* An interesting side story that could develop this week with Tarvaris Jackson's swollen finger being an issue could be Kelly Holcomb playing against the Eagles this week. Philadelphia signed Holcomb in the offseason when Jeff Garcia signed away in free agency. But, when the Eagles used their top pick in the draft to take a quarterback, Holcomb became expendable and was traded to the Vikings.
* The NFL is planning to move up the start time of next Monday's game between the Packers and Broncos if there is a Game 5 of the World Series. The Broncos and Rockies would both be playing that night and the NFL doesn't want to conflict with that schedule. The league won't have a Sunday night game this week, which they do every year, so as not to conflict with Game 4 of the World Series.
* The Monday night game will also mark the return of Koren Robinson, who served a one-year suspension and will see his first action since being reinstated next Monday.
* The San Diego Chargers, the Vikings opponent after the Eagles, have been forced to move their practices to Arizona due to wild fires that have burned thousands of acres of land in California.
Another Blackout Looms
Viking Update Top Stories
The price is right?Derek Carr once again raised the quarterback payment bar. A lot of NFL teams are wondering how high the price tags can go?
Viking Update6:12 AM
Vikings hire new head strength coachThe Minnesota Vikings moved quickly to replace their head strength and conditioning coach on Friday.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 8:07 PM
Vegas releases MVP betting oddsThe Brovada gambling website released its opening MVP odds, which include Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson as "place your bets" peers.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 2:17 PM
Robinson: From D-II to starting prospectEdmond Robinson admitted he had a bigger learning curve than most rookies, but after two years he is in position to compete for a starting job with the Minnesota Vikings.
Viking UpdateYesterday at 4:10 AM
WATCH: Sam Bradford at OTAs, minicampSam Bradford was in charge at Minnesota Vikings organized team activities and minicamp working on the plays that will build the foundation for the 2017 season. Watch two minutes of…
Viking UpdateThursday at 5:42 AM